14psi 1.7L KB KIT - Questions for those running it

robs2000gt

Founding Member
Jan 24, 2001
I am thinking of switching from my current vortech setup to this (I am currently putting out 524rwhp/462rwtq). I am not much into drag racing, i just wanted a 500rwhp+ daily driver that was smog legal and fun to drive, I do mostly in town driving. I havent been all that impressed with the initial burst of the vortech, which is understandable since it doesnt create peak boost until up top. I have heard many good things about this kit and i think it would satisfy my need to be faster down low (stoplight to stoplight type deal, fun, quick little bursts). The only thing i have heard that is negative is heat. How bad is the heat soak for a cruiser that doesnt see boost all that often? Is there any aftermarket products available yet to help with it (like the 03 Cobra).

I was told this is the site to ask all KB questions. :D
Thanks for help!

• Sponsors (?)

do you have a build bottom end? your GOING TO need it with that much boost on a 2V. From what I have seen, a few people are having heat issues with the 1.7 @ 14lbs. Its simply too small of a blower to be pushing that much boost in a daily driver situation. If you do have a build bottom, then I STRONGLY suggest looking into the 2.2L kit for the 2v.

MT1083 said:
If the moderators don't mind me posting this, Modular Fords has a dedicated KB forum that Ken visits regularly to answer questions.
Cool, thanks for that info. :D

Dan - yes i have a built bottom end, blower cams, ported heads. I am currently putting out 524rwhp/462rwtq but i am unhappy with the low end performance of the vortech. I dont really like the price tag of the 2.2L ( by the time you add the 8 rib setup, electric water pump, etc), so if thats the case then i will probably just upgrade a T trim and throw on some bigger injectors and fuel rails.