14s to 16s

I have a 92 mustang lx notch and I have the 14 inch polly wheels and I bought a set of the 16 inch gt pony five spoke wheels and I was wondering what I have to do to put those on...I know they will just bolt right up but I would amagine that I will not read the correct miles per hour now...I think tha t I hurd from somewere that I am going to have to change the speedometer gear is that correct...and if that is true is that hard to do and were can I get one??? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i just swappedmine..on a 93 notch..no problems except tight tight turns..slight rub..nothing bad at all. my speed reads pretty on the dot..allthough it might be over..i beleave

Attachments

• Picture 1690.jpg
    Picture 1690.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 124
just put them, dont worry about it. Tire size has a small impact on speedo's ...not exaclty putting 26" on there ;) you'd have to change your speedo gear if you put Gears in there, thats the only reason i can think of.

raphate said:
i just swappedmine..on a 93 notch..no problems except tight tight turns..slight rub..nothing bad at all. my speed reads pretty on the dot..allthough it might be over..i beleave

LOL .. .looks like my car .. hehe ... who cares about the front .. all they do is turn .. lol j/k

attachment.php

I only have 2 of my pony rims on myself, both in the back. I had the other two on up front but they rubbed and the tires were worn out and need to be replaced anyway. I was surprised that they rubbed though, the tires came off a stock 92 GT.

1979-1993=4 lug and 94-present=5 lug. Unless someone did a swap on a pre 1993 car to make it 5 lug. Do not hate me if I am incorrect just correct me. But I am quite sure. Maybe svo's and such differ but I do not think so, and am not refering to them anyway.

Emysterio said:
I only have 2 of my pony rims on myself, both in the back. I had the other two on up front but they rubbed and the tires were worn out and need to be replaced anyway. I was surprised that they rubbed though, the tires came off a stock 92 GT.
What year is your car? The 90-93 had slightly wider fenders. Like Mustang 5L5 said stick with the stock tire size. Or you can even put on 225/50 if you still have rubbing problems.

svoman2300 said:
What year is your car? The 90-93 had slightly wider fenders. Like Mustang 5L5 said stick with the stock tire size. Or you can even put on 225/50 if you still have rubbing problems.

I have an 87 LX, I thought that something probably wasnt right if they fit on a 92 GT with no problems.

Try Ebay for the center caps.

I noticed a small speedo difference between my GT ponys and the stock 4 banger wheels. I think when I'm doing 35 on the speedo I'm really doing 30. I learned this from those cop raidor trailers parked on the side of the road. I went through it doing 30-35-40-45 mph speeds to see how off I was at higher speeds and 4-6 mph seemed to be about right. I could check for highway speeds since it was in a neighbor hood and my car couldn't make though speeds quick enough :rolleyes:

DeviantCreation said:
The Easiest way to correct this problem is ...for every inch you add to the rim size take an inch off the sidewall size.. plain an simple...then there is no speedo or tach adjustments needed

:nice: Well said. Makes perfect sense.Ends confusion. As long as you can afford to have a choice sometimes budget etc makes it hard, sometimes you get what you can, but again :nice: