17.89 Quarter Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobet

May 24, 2005
Hey, I'm new to this forum and muscle cars. I was going to buy the Dodge Neon SRT but was talked into buying the GT from my buddy. Anyway, I recently visited Commerce Raceway with my 05 GT and ran the 1/4 mile in 17.89. Someone said that I shouldn't have my air conditioner on and that I had coffee break shifts.
What does my a/c got to do with anything? Was he being funny or is coffee break shifts good.
I'm a little disappointed with my GT being so slow. I think the Neon is faster, I hope I didn't make a huge costly mistake! :shrug:
Any advice?
Thanks, G

• Sponsors (?)

my worst time was a 14.50 and I am the worst shifter in the world!!!!Try no air ,traction control off and slip the hell out of the clutch on start.If you don't get better times you will be asked to sell your car by the mustang police.LOL

Don't start in 2nd gear!!!!!!!you want a little spin and 1st gear is where you make most of your time up from a good start.

I bet the guys out at the track busted your chops pretty good. That time should improve after lots and lots of practice on the launch. Did you stomp on the gas pedal from the start? I would hate to see what the time was in the Neon.

I was told by some guys at the track to start in 2nd gear. I may not have the quickest time off the lights but i thought 300hp ought to be enough to get to 16 seconds. I also did have the traction on simply for more traction. why is everyone saying to turn off the a/c. Whats the big deal - the belt is running over it whether its on or off!
G

goobet said:
I was told by some guys at the track to start in 2nd gear. I may not have the quickest time off the lights but i thought 300hp ought to be enough to get to 16 seconds. I also did have the traction on simply for more traction. why is everyone saying to turn off the a/c. Whats the big deal - the belt is running over it whether its on or off!
G

If the A/C clutch is not engaged (on) then the pulley is just freewheeling.
A/C ON = more engine drag = less hp

or something like that :nice:

:flag:

With traction control on, your tires won't spin as much. At the same time, your tires aren't spinning as much because the T/C is limiting the HP to your tires to stop them from spinning. Less HP to the wheels = slower times. Turn T/C off and let her rock.

goobet said:
G

Start in 1st. Keep the traction control off, it pulls HP. And please turn off the A/C. You should be able to run 14's.

Questions:

1) How high are you letting the RPMs go before you shift?
2) How are you shifting? Are you letting off the gas when you shift?
3) Never mind my thrid question, I just re-read the previous posts - turn your traction control off - and turn the damn A/C off too while you're at it!
4) How much gas do you have in the tank? And what kind of gas (regular or premium)?

Here's my suggestions:

1) Turn off your traction control.
2) Turn off your A/C
3) Roll up your windows
4) Start off in first gear :damnit:
5) Keep your foot on the floor until your engine hits about 5600 rpm or so, then shift - NOT BEFORE!!
6) Power shift - stomp the clutch without taking your foot off the gas, shift hard and fast (FAST :damnit: ) then get your foot off that clutch pedal!
7) Go to the track with a quarter tank of gas, and make it premium.

Don't do any of the above until the car has at least 1000 miles on it. Myself, I would wait until after the first oil change. I don't know what those '05s are supposed to be running, but a stock '02 will get into the 13's. I can only assume the '05 should be faster!

Are you sure you did stop mid track for a coffee break. If this is your first time at the track, I would say you had a very bad reaction time. That coupled with starting in second and being easy on the shifts is what did it.

Stand to the side and watch others at the light. If you see the light turn green, then you are to late, you already lost a second. You need to leave at the last yellow unless you are staged deep. Also work on your power shifting between gears. If your letting your rpm's drop before you enter the next gear then your not doing it right.

Practice, practice, practice!

You will run faster if you remove 4 of your spark plugs. This will cut down on tire spin and give you a better time.

Also, take off your lugnuts before you race. They are just adding weight.

Finally, trying lining up your car backwards and running in reverse. By staying in reverse the whole lenght of the track, you are eliminating shifting which takes time and leads to slower ETs.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.