17'' fronts/18'' rears come in

• Sponsors (?)

MVC512S-vi.jpg

17X9 up front with 265/40 tires and 18X9 in back with 285/40 tires.

Attachments

• MVC512S-vi.jpg
    MVC512S-vi.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 72
triggz said:
Mismatching tire sizes in the front and rear can cause ABS/TC problems from what I understand. If you do, make sure the tires overall height is as close as you can get.

WRONG!

The only time I had a problem with ABS/TC was when the idiots at the Ford dealership put my 18's in the front and the 17's in the rear (after I told them to NOT rotate the tires). TC light kept coming on while driving home. Went right back and made them change them back. No problems since, and my tires are not the same height as stock, or front to back!

blueovalguy said:
WRONG!

The only time I had a problem with ABS/TC was when the idiots at the Ford dealership put my 18's in the front and the 17's in the rear (after I told them to NOT rotate the tires). TC light kept coming on while driving home. Went right back and made them change them back. No problems since, and my tires are not the same height as stock, or front to back!

Well, then you did have problems due to mismatched tire size. Right?
That was my point.

If it can cause problems that way, it's possible with enough difference to cause problems the other way.

triggz said:
Well, then you did have problems due to mismatched tire size. Right?
That was my point.

Only when the idiots put the bigger tires in the front.

If it can cause problems that way, it's possible with enough difference to cause problems the other way.

There have been no problems when the tires are in the right place!

It's possible that the world will implode today too, better run and hide!

jasonh_86 said:
If it's got the right suspension heights...
Yup.... Remember if you put 18's in back they will fill up the rear fender gap a bit more than the 17" rims in front. and then you'd have to get thinner deck hight tires n the rear if your car doesnt have a raked stance. Make sure you go with a raked stance if you're gonna do that or it'll look like its lower in back.

blueovalguy said:
There have been no problems when the tires are in the right place!

It's possible that the world will implode today too, better run and hide!

I didn't say it will always cause problems, but it is possible. Your tires are apparently close enough in overall height to not cause issues when the larger ones are out back, which is why I said be mindful of tire sizing. However, if someone goes out and gets 315/35/18 rears and 245/45/17 fronts it is far more likely to cause issues.

On cars and trucks that have antilock brakes (ABS) equipped cars and trucks, most vehicle manufacturers say replacement tires should be the same size as the originals. This is necessary because the diameter of the tire affects how the wheel speed sensors read, which in turn affect the operation of the ABS (and traction control) system. Changing to a larger or smaller diameter tire, or installing different sized tires front and rear can upset the operation of the ABS system. This may create braking problems and/or cause the ABS warning light to come on (which means the system is deactivated).

Now, won't you feel really silly when the world does implode?

I was thinking about doing this too, because I want 18" rims, but I'm broke. So I figured I have enough for 2 tires and rims. Put them in the back. Then when I get more money, buy 2 more tires/rims and slap em on, then sell the 17" bullits. But if the mismatched size looks good and works, why not just stick with that and have a spare set of front tires and rims. :shrug:

Tom: a few questions if i may...

1). what size tires are you running front & back? the rear tires look thinner...

2). ...did u do that to minimize the overall diameter difference between the two?

3). how much drop is that and is it the same front and back?

thanks...looks awesome. im definitely doing this.

blueovalguy said:
WRONG!

Um, that is a problem isn't it?

With the T/C light on it's usually a sign the ABS system is no longer functional as well.

Usually the front rear tires needs to spin a certain percentage of each other before the ABS system tries to lock up a brake or shuts the whole system down.