17 inch rims on a 66

fordkid

May 28, 2007
Hello-

I know this question has been asked before. I did a search on it and I am now more confused then when I started. the backspacing has me woundering. the deal is I have a chance to get a set of rims from a 2004 mustang gt for cheap, there 17x8. I would like to know if they would fit on my 66 mustang, the front is lowered 1 inch. and the rear is the stock hieght. the thing that confuses me is I will need to use a 1 inch spacer to make these rims fit without them hitting the inside of the wheel wells. what does that do to the backspacing. I am conserned about them hitting the fenders. besides letting me know if they will work or not could someone tell me what the spacers does to the backspacing.

if I will need a smaller then stock size tire will a 225 tire fit on an 8 inch rim?

Sorry for the newbie question, I tried answering myself and ended up making things worse.

Thanks
Ford Kid.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running 17" Bullitts on my 66 right now with 1" adaptors/spacers up front and 1.25" in the rear (my 8" is from a Maverick and is narrower than stock so I needed the extra thickness). The stock backspace on most late models is 5.74" so the 1" spacer makes that 4.74" which is perfect for your car. Check for an Ebay seller "sscramblin". They sell mostly Jeep parts but carry every conceivable adaptor and fairly cheap. I bought mine for $55 a set shipped.

O you subtract the 1inch spacer from the total backspacing. cool,

that's good to here guys, any of you have your front end lowered 1 inch. I really wanted these rims and the price can't be beat. tweet, thanks for the heads up about the spacers on ebay.

thanks
Ford Kid

Z06killinSBF- those look great, that's just the look I am going for. unfortinutly it will have to wait a little bit longer, the guy that told me he would sell me the rims sold them to someone else. so I am on the hunt again.

Thanks
Ford Kid

look out for the o4 bullits they have about 5/8 more backspace than the earlier ones i had a set but did not want those ridiculously thick spacers so i sold them and buoght some torq thrust II's no spacers needed btw the 04 up wheels fit really nice on an svo