17 or 18 inch? Ride Quality vs Handling?

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
For the 2007 GT vert I plan on buying, should I get 17 or 18 inch wheels?
I have a 2000 GT vert.

1.) Will the 17s on the new car feel tighter (more planted) in turns than the 17s on the old car?
2.) The old size is 245/45, aren't the new tires less agressive?
3.) Will the ride be softer or similiar over rough freeways/roads?
4.) Do the 18s have far superior handling?
5.) Do the 18s make the ride a lot harsher or just a little?

Thanks for any advice...

• Sponsors (?)

Eighteen Shmaiteen

I bumped up to 20" on my 05GT with a set of 35 series Toyo rubber and the car handles amazing(no tire roll, and lots of grip). The ride is not a ton different than the stock rubber, just on backroads. The look is even better, but the one thing to think about is the bigger you go, the harder it is to stop the centrifical force. You're gonna need bigger brakes. Mine has 23k miles and needs a brake job so i'll be upgrading to cross drilled 14" Brembos. Just food for thought.

Dont assume bigger wheels = better handling, maybe if the road were perfectly flat and perfect you would notice. Not to mention adding weight and rotational mass isnt the way to achieve better handling.

You just can't compare 18s on the new car vs 18s on the old ones. The new chassis and suspension is so much better that harshness is not a problem. I had the same concerns, and now I have 19x9/19x10 on mine and couldn't be much happier. There is a slight difference from the 17s, but not much.

i still like the old school look, im not saying 17's are old school,(14's would be) but by lowering your car youll take the wheel well away also. id go 18's no bigger. now i just need to find tires with the white lettering on them, that say goodyear in bold raised lettering!!!!!!!:nice: vynle.

I would say go with the 18's but don't go bigger than that. I am going to be switching my 17s for 18s soon. Over 18" is when you start adding too much unsprung weight IMO.