17" rim with 5.5" backspace

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
Has anyone been able to fit a 17" rim with 5.5" backspacing on the front end of a 67/68 mustang? I ran across a set of Smoothie 2 rims for sale with these specs, but I don't think they will fit. Tonight I mounted my 18" rim with 6" of backspacing and a 0.5" spacer (giving me 5.5" of backspacing) onto the car tonight and it looked like the rim was rubbing the upper ball joint. I figured that the rubbing of the ball joint would be even worse with a 17" rim, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

Need more info - 17x8" or 17x9"?

5.5bs is normal for a 17x9" for a classic Mustang application, but if it is a 17x9 with that BS I would expect some serious rub that you can't correct with a normal wheel spacer - it would have to be a full adapter with separate wheel studs for the new wheel. 8" width with that BS would be even worse, and I'm pretty sure you're talking about a 9" wheel.

I tried my 17x9, 5.5bs rear wheel on the front of my '70 mustang just to see what it looked like and there was a ton of upper ball joint interference. 17x8, 4.5 or 4.75 is more appropriate.