17" wheels on a 66

ONEBADPNY

Nov 10, 2002
FREMONT, NEBRASKA
what size tires can i run safely on the front and rear? i am getting a 17x8 or 17x7 wheel not sure yet. what size back spacing will i need? 4" be enough? anyone has pictures i would like to see them too. thought about bullit wheels first but now maybe torq thrust ll's.

• Sponsors (?)

And here is a picture of the 17x8s 4.75 BS 235 45 17 front 255 40 17 rear on a 65 ;)

hires3.jpg

Here's a pick of my 65 with 17" tt2's with 4.75 backspacing and 235/45/17 tires, went with the same size all around so I can rotate the tires since they're directional. But I am having problems with fitment, had to use spacers in the front because I realized after driving it some the inside of the rim was lightly scraping the upper control arm. Then just when I thought things were good and took it on the freeway, I hit a big woopdy-doo and the right rear tire came up into the wheel well and shredded the tire on an edge on the fender lip. Now I realize either my axle is shifted about a half inch to the ps(just put new suspension in before the tires) or one of my rims is not the same backspacing. Really sucks because the tires run about 145, and I got about 40 miles out of it. One of these days I'll be able to drive it and not have something to fix when I get home......maybe someday, not holding my breath I've been cursed with this car ever since I bought it from my dad.

Attachments

• Pb030152bb.jpg
    Pb030152bb.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 108