17's or 18's for street/strip

Eventually I'm going to order some black deep dish bullits for my car. Shoudl I get 17x10.5 + 17x9...or 18x10.5 + 18x9. Which combo should I get? I will get nittos and I want something like 305/35's. This is not a daily driver but I want it to look really good. Anyways you guys w/ experience lemme know something. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Well you will be increasing your weight with 18's and drag racing is directly related to horsepower per weight ratio. I would go with the 17's but thats me...

stng said:
Well you will be increasing your weight with 18's and drag racing is directly related to horsepower per weight ratio. I would go with the 17's but thats me...
I agree and the 17's have a slightly bigger sidewall which helps absorb some of the shock when launching, but, I really like the looks of the 18's over the 17's, what is more important to you? I see a turbo in your future mods so do you go for looks now and get rims with slicks in the future?

I'm in a similar boat. I like the look of the 18s but don't want drag strip results to suffer. I'm leaning towards the 18x8.5 BBS RK rims. They are very lightweight for their size, about 9 pounds lighter than the stock bullets per wheel. Only issue is the price. I'm thinking the 9 pounds lighter will make up for the shorter sidewall I will have to go with.

I don't think the 305s you want are going to fit on a 8.5" rim though. 275s might be the limit.

o3redfire said:
I agree and the 17's have a slightly bigger sidewall which helps absorb some of the shock when launching, but, I really like the looks of the 18's over the 17's, what is more important to you? I see a turbo in your future mods so do you go for looks now and get rims with slicks in the future?

+1

Not to mention the price of tires for 18's... That will certainly put a delay on the turbo... You could go with the 17's and lower your car and it will look better than the 18's alone.

tomustang said:
since it's not your DD go for a drag rim, 15"
:Word: Get some Weld 15" x 10" Pro-Stars and some Mickey Thompson ET Streets. With the bigger sidewall you're axles wont take quite as much abuse as they would from running a lower profile tire. Or, you could get whatever rims you want for driving around on the street, then save up and get some 15x10s for the strip, and save your stock rims to run up front at the track too.

helty said:
:Word: Get some Weld 15" x 10" Pro-Stars and some Mickey Thompson ET Streets. With the bigger sidewall you're axles wont take quite as much abuse as they would from running a lower profile tire. Or, you could get whatever rims you want for driving around on the street, then save up and get some 15x10s for the strip, and save your stock rims to run up front at the track too.

Copy cat :rolleyes: :p

If I were to do the 15x10 thing, I would just go and spend a little more and get the skinnies up front.. Reduce a good bit of weight, help weight transfer and everything. Just put them on to drive to the track and you'll be fine. There's lots of people who actually drive with them on their car 24/7, so it's no big deal

the98stang said:
I think 17's look sexy anyway. 18's look too "bling bling" ....
nah

vbpgimage.php

If you were big into drag racing, I'd go with the other replies and get 15" wheels. But it sounds like you're big into looks and just checking out drag racing. Go with the 18s. They'll be heavier and will make you slower. Just make up the difference in other ways. When you get to the track, people will see your pimp mobile and won't expect you to go fast. You can screw up your launch and no one will care. :)

I really don't see much of a difference in sidewall from my 18's with 285/35/18 as I do with my friend's mustang that has 315/35/17 on it. Not enough to matter to me, imo.. I'd go with 18. Why spend all that money if you're not going to increase the size of the wheel? That's how I look at it, make it worthwhile and spend a few extra dollars to get the extra inch which looks so much better, imo

I've never seen those. I'll check them out.

I think the 18s do look better on stangs. but if the 17s seem better due to people saying the 18s will slow you down then get the 17s. They look good in DD too.

To me the 17s are a better option because the wide tires are cheaper.