17x8" Chrome bullets with adapters...writeup

Bdharn said:
Thanks Edbert for the info I found some adapters on e-bay for 169.00 and they are billet aluminum. I bought the polish wheels on e-bay as well for 475 bucks and I plan on putting them on my 01 GT. It has bullits just like yours. My car is black so they should look good. By the way your vert looks really nice.

The link I posted has the same spacers for $140. You might want to check into that.

• Sponsors (?)

For anyone trying this I would like to point out that Dante Designs/Performance wheel outlet will make you a set with 4.75 backspacing, $900 for chromed, and $640 for the regular grey ones. they will make them in other sizes besides 17x8 if you want also. They make 16x8's - 18x9's prices varry. You can usualy do it for cheaper by buying the wheels and adapters seperate and I have confidence in the wheel adapters, but this just seems like a better idea to me.

my .02 cents

imshaggy2000 said:
For anyone trying this I would like to point out that Dante Designs/Performance wheel outlet will make you a set with 4.75 backspacing, $900 for chromed, and $640 for the regular grey ones. they will make them in other sizes besides 17x8 if you want also. They make 16x8's - 18x9's prices varry. You can usualy do it for cheaper by buying the wheels and adapters seperate and I have confidence in the wheel adapters, but this just seems like a better idea to me.

my .02 cents

Thats a GOOD price from Dante! Every place I saw dante wheels were $250 a piece!! The only problem was....$$$$. Where Ibought my wheels and tires from, they let me finance.

Shane

allcarfan said:
Thats a GOOD price from Dante! Every place I saw dante wheels were $250 a piece!! The only problem was....$$$$. Where Ibought my wheels and tires from, they let me finance.

Shane

Thats not a good price at all, I just gave the list price thats in every mustang and fords magasine. I can get the chromes for $700 from my dads friend who owns a wheel shop and will pass along his discount to me.

just to let everyone know i got 17 by8 96 cobras on my 67 vert with a machined steel shim that measures .710 and with a 3 bolt control arm they clear just fine but the will hit the 4 bolt arms (dont ask how i know) :) oh and my spacer presses on the rotor and uses 3 inch studs so i dont ever see this breaking :)

You can buy these wheels with the correct backspacing so none of these adapters/spacers are needed. Once you factor in the additional cost/work of adapters it's a scratch and you should just get the correct wheels.

Another thing I would caution on is that the basics should always be handled first (crazy leaf spring setups) before money is spent on the shiny stuff. Sometimes these changes even lead to a difference in what you need in wheel and tire setups... brake upgrades for example.

NOTE:

I no longer use spacers in the rear. I have a wheel with 5.75" BS and a rearend out of a 69 Mach I (in a 66 mustang).

As for the correct bs...the company I ordered from told me they only came in 4.5 and 5.5" BS. I wanted 4.75...hence the adapter with the 5.5" BS wheel. HOWEVER, the damn place I ordered from (discount tires.com) measures BS different from ANY VENDOR IN THE WORLD. So, the actual BS of the wheels are 5.75, not 5.5.

allcarfan said:
As for the correct bs...the company I ordered from told me they only came in 4.5 and 5.5" BS. I wanted 4.75...hence the adapter with the 5.5" BS wheel. HOWEVER, the damn place I ordered from (discount tires.com) measures BS different from ANY VENDOR IN THE WORLD. So, the actual BS of the wheels are 5.75, not 5.5.

That means the 4.5 was actually the 4.75 you were after :(

blkfrd said:
Regarding some peoples concerns about the strength of the T6 spacers, they are very strong and won't break. T6 has about 1/2 the tensile strength of steel (about 75,000 psi), and the spacers are very thick thus utilizing a considerable amount of material to hold the spacer to the rotor or the wheel to the spacer. One should consider, if they are sceptical, that the wheels themselves are aluminum.

In general the concerns are with the lugs snapping / sheering off between the additional surfaces/breakpoints and not with the spacers. My point is that you can get them in the correct spacings so there's no need to bolt on another potential problem/issue... that's all. :)

blkfrd said:
You were able to use a .75" spacer in front? Your upper control arms must be very close to the rims. Did you grind down the nose of the UCAs to get adequate clearance?

I ordered the .75" spacer when I thought my BS was going to be 5.5"....that would give me 4.75" BS.

The wheels fit on there with the total of 5" of BS, but, when you turned the wheel to the left or right, it rubbed on the upper control arm...thats with a shelby drop.