17x9&17x10

5.slowmaroon

Apr 8, 2009
Just got the 10th ann. Cobra rims from latemodel and i cant decide what tires i should get. I have not rolled fenders and i have a slight lowering kit on it. It is a 1991 mustang gt with the gt body kit. Any help would be appreciated. Thankaya!

• Sponsors (?)

I now have 18s instead of 17s, (also 9' & 10" wide) but I can tell you that as far as width, a 265 front and 275 rear is about right. Some like a 255 in front, but I like the 265. For 17s you'd be looking at front: 265/40-17 rear: 275/40-17.

I believe @Gearbanger 101 has the 10th Anniversary wheels, maybe he can chime in on tire size.

I bought mine (17") as a package deal through OEWheels with the 255's in front and the 275's in the rear and they're pretty snug on the rim. They offer you next to no curb protection, so be really careful. If I could have it my way, I'd go an inch wider on both sets of tires....but I just don't think there's the room on the Fox body without serious modification.

I have 245s on 9" 18s all around on mine with Ford B springs, which is a slight lowering... there is also zero protection from the rims hitting anything which scares the hell out of me. I have more room in the back for tires but the front rubs on full lock and will rub the my fender which is rolled if i go through a big enough dip or bump.

The nice thing about the 18X9 wheels, is that there are more tire choices available. There aren't many options for the 17x9's that will allow you to retain the stock ride height.

A 245mm tire is better suited to a 17x8" wheel....where a 275mm tire is better suited to the 17x9"

The SN95 guys get a 10.5" rear wheel....which allows the 315mm tires to fit like a glove.

....but, most wheel manufacturers know that their 9" and 10" wide wheels are already pushing it and won't bolt up directly to the Fox Body without clearance issues, which is why they saddle us with undersized tires. :(

This is all of course assuming you're at stock, or near stock ride height. Slam your suspension much more than about 1/2"-3/4" and you're using the hammer and a slew of curse words with a 9" wide wheels no matter what tire you're running.

I have a set of 03-04 Chrome Cobra wheels with 255/40/17x9F and 275/40/17x10.5R. I have a set of Sumi HTRIII tires and the rear have little to no rim protection. I just added a pair of 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials and there is NO rim protection at all. In fact, the rim of the wheel protrudes about an 1/8th of an inch. I hate the way it looks but if it hooks I don't care! I'll post pics later

Reactions: 1 user
Last weekend I put on my quad shocks just to see if I noticed any difference. I have plenty of clearance with 17x9 cobra R's w/ Nitto 275/40-17s w/ Team Z Motorsports drag springs(basically stock height) not a lot of curb protection though.
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 user