17x9.5 front edelbrock 454 on a '69-70?

70vert

Dec 31, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Hey all,
Ok I have looked at the Dodgestang chart and there seem to be some guys with '69-70s with a 9"-9.5" front wheel and a TCP upper A arm/TCP front coilover and 255/40-45/17 size tires. One rolled the fenders, one didn't and one said "slight modification to inside of fender well" but he had a 255/40/18 and I am looking at a 17" with a 40. The guy who rolled the fenders had a 24" fender lip height and mine's over 26, plus he seemed to like a low offset/backspace and mine should be more.
I am looking at getting a set of Edelbrock 454 style wheels from Unique Performance and would like to do a 9.5 on the front as well as the rear. The chart looks encouraging. What do you guys think/anybody have experience?

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

you might ask unique if they have a mockup wheel they could send you to check it out, i'd bet they have one but whether or not they would send it to you is another story though. next option is to call a bunch of wheel stores and even some local rod shops to see if they have a wheel with the right backsapce and stuff.

u may be aware but... there are differences in the edel 454s and the halibrand or gt40 wheels. The 454s only come in a 8" width for 17s, the halibrand or gt40 wheels do come in 9.5 and 11" for 17s, but are somehwat different than the edelbrock 454s. just a heads up so u dont end up with a different wheel than u expected

Yeah, they can stretch it to 9.5

SitDown said:
u may be aware but... there are differences in the edel 454s and the halibrand or gt40 wheels. The 454s only come in a 8" width for 17s, the halibrand or gt40 wheels do come in 9.5 and 11" for 17s, but are somehwat different than the edelbrock 454s. just a heads up so u dont end up with a different wheel than u expected

I know. I like the halibrand/gt40 wheels, but not as much as the 454/GT500E and I like the look of the 454 better, the open web with the matte finish in the inside of the web and plished outside. Plus they're cheaper. Thanks for the heads up, though. According to this thread vikingz here got a 454 style wheel in a 9.5 width custom from Unique:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=508501&highlight=edelbrock+454

I wonder how they "stretch" it and how much it costs? I have an email in to them but will call if I don't hear back soon.

thanks,
Joe

Are the Edelbrocks available ? I couldn't get them when I was looking because they were currently out of production. Unique buys their wheel from P.S. Engineering. I bought straight from Phil at P.S.E. and saved a few bucks, plus he makes them to your specs.

after a hard search

I landed on a Cobra forum. Apparently he is really a 1 man operation which makes me not so sure he is the supplier for Unique - I heard elsewhere that they get their wheels in lots of 100. He must be a busy guy. Anyway, here's the info - can anybody find American Speed Specialties' web site which apparently distributes his wheels??

"Lou,

The number is (310)534-4477. Call early in the morning (0700-0730), because Phil likes to get in early and leave early."

disregard the Lou.. :D

Joe

Clarification, Ed. 454s vs. PS Engineering

damannhw said:
Are the Edelbrocks available ? I couldn't get them when I was looking because they were currently out of production. Unique buys their wheel from P.S. Engineering. I bought straight from Phil at P.S.E. and saved a few bucks, plus he makes them to your specs.

damann,
I realized after that search that PS makes the GT40 wheel but I'm sure the cheaper "GT500E" wheel they sell is an Edelbrock 454-style with less webbing in between the spokes. Now I'm trying to find a 9.5" width from someone else so I can compare prices but I'm pretty sure the 9.5 is a custom thing.
I think the way to go is to just order 2 9.5s from them, try them out on the front and then if they don't work I KNOW that they'll work on the back, then I can order the 8s. :cheers:

Joe