17x9.5 on a 68 PICS

Well as promised. PICS may look a little off, as I just threw on my fenders and photoshopped the front end down some as My engine is out still on the stand next to the car.

I got the 7x9.5 with 6-3/8 backspace and 17x8 with 4.5 backspace. The tires are 275/40 in the rear and 245/45 up front. No rub, no issues what so ever. The backs could stand to be pushed out 3/8" for looks, but I would have to roll my fender to do that. I'll get the car back together and running and then I'll worry about "looks" Over all I'm super happy - good ol' safe TTii's.

**Update on my car: My engine is 95% complete, my disk brake kit is sitting on my garage work bench, all my AOD conversion parts are sitting next to me in my office, and my Trans will be here in a week. Now, all I have to do is find the time to put it all together. :bang: Work always win's over my play time. :)

wheel-tire.jpg

wheel-mock-stang.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

6 3/8 backspacing?? i called a mustang shop and told the guy i was ordering 18x10 for the back and 18x8.4 for the front and he told me5 1/2 backspacing for the back and 4 1/2 for the front and thats with a rearend out of a 1992 5.0 thats already .5" wider on each side. the rims are being ordered tomorrow morning so if i need to change the backspacing can someone please post what ill need.
i am getting rid of the stock suspension and going to a 4-link or 3-link i dont know if that helps any.

First point of contact is not going to be the springs, it will be the forward part of the inner fenderwell. With a 17x9.5 wheel and 5.5 bs , you get close to the outer fender lip. With 17x9.5 and 6.0 bs you get close to the forward inner fenderwell. It's easier to massage the inner fenderwell than roll the outer fender lips. I have 17x9.5s with 6.0 bs and I am thinking about widening my wheels to 10.0 (6.5 bs) to run a 285/40 tire.

I wish I had a 67 so I could fit bigger wheels easier...
Could you measure your section width of those 275/40's on the 9.5 wheels plz? I am wondering if it will be what the online tire calculator is telling me. anyone with 275 on 8" wheels? I know there is but was wondering if you could also measure the section width so I can see the difference. I am going to do 9 or 9.5 on mine. Thanks

Is the section width on the 255 9.75"? It's kinda hard to tell what it is form the pic... I was looking through your pictures and noticed that you had the 275 rubbing on the inside? did you do the poor mans mini tub? Does your new rear susp. give you more room where the leaf springs limited you?

Thanks