17x9 Torq Thrust M on s197 spacers ???

luvmymustang

Jan 14, 2007
I just ordered some 17x9 Shelby Torq Thrust M wheels and I am going with 255/45-17's for tire size. I'm aware it is a one inch smaller diameter than the factory size. What I need to know, is anyone running the 17x9 Torq Thrust M wheels on a S197 Mustang ? Tire rack includes 2 wheel spacers with the wheels I just found out. I called American Racing and they say there's no reason why you would need them. I'm not sure I believe them because this same guy told me that the 17x9 had a 2 1/2 - 3 inch lip on the wheel. Tire Rack's spec says it has a one inch lip... The last thing I want to have to do is put wheel spacers on brand new wheels.. Any information would be appreciated..

As a side note, presently my car has 18x9 American Muscle Deep Dish bullets and with the BFG KDW2's mounted on them they weigh 55.6 lbs each... ouch... The 17x9 Torq Thrust M's with the tires I'm getting weigh 45 lbs. A 10 lbs per wheel/tire combination saving is huge and it could only help the performance of my car..

Thanks,

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same wheels and they come with thin spacers 1/8 to 3/16 thick for the front. They said that a few people had minor rubbing but I tried them with and without the spacers and had no rubbing.

I LOVE the Torq Thrust wheel!

I too, have a weight concern, both with wheels AND my belly. I think I will hold out for something lightweight (maybe forged) as most people miss the benefit that light wheels offer you: starting, stopping, turning.....better...and faster!

I saw a V6 Mustang rolling down the highway about a week ago, with 22" chrome wheels on it. You could clearly see his dinky stock brakes in-between the wheel spokes. Oh, and it was a 'vert, too. Can you say, "rotating mass?"

I gave him a big :notnice: as I drove by him. He just laughed.

Lame-o.