180 T-Stat installed

Installed a 180 T-Stat before I left for work. The temp. gauge showed half of what it usually does on the way to work. With the 195 T-Stat the temp guage went halfway. That's great and the heater was as hot as always. Is there any adverse affects from running a 180 T-Stat.

• Sponsors (?)

I got one and I'm happy with the results. It does still get to normal temp when it's hot out, or you're running AC/defrost. It also gets to normal temp when in traffic, but when just cruising on the freeway it's definately lower than normal. I think it's still hot enough to not worry about adverse effects. :nice:

This is my 900th post! I win!! :banana:

I read sonwhere that the lowest coefficient of friction between aluminun and iron is around 210F. Anything less than that and there is increased wear. The article also went on to say that there is almost 25% more wear on an engine that operates at 160F v.s. 210F.

I'll dig around and see if I can find that article.

Riley

I had detonation issues so I wanted mine lower. I put in the 180 along with some other fixes. I only heard a ping once in a blue moon after that and with the other fixes gained 7 HP and 14 FT Lbs of RWTQ. The only part changed was the thermostat. Rest of it was due to changing spark plug gaps and fixing an air leak.

Skud said:
I read sonwhere that the lowest coefficient of friction between aluminun and iron is around 210F. Anything less than that and there is increased wear. The article also went on to say that there is almost 25% more wear on an engine that operates at 160F v.s. 210F.

I'll dig around and see if I can find that article.

Riley

I'd like to read that article...and also your comparing 160 vs 210....don't most people go from like the stock(192-is that right?) to 180?

I could be wrong but i read on thridgen.org that by switching to a lower Tstat and not adjusting the fan turn on temps that it causes an open condition in the cooling system. I don't know much about mustangs yet but i will use my camaro as an example. Stock turn on temp for a 92 camaro's fan is 221F and the the turn off is 185F. They have a 190F Tstat. By switching to a 180F Tstat once the car warms up the Tstat will stay open becuase the fan won't cool it enough to close it back up. Thats where the open system comes into play.

Like i said i don't know much about mustangs but without a cooler fan switch in my camaro the car funs like crap. I could be wrong but i thought that i would share. And almost every performance car runs better when they are cooler.

I am not an expert on the whole metal temp thing, but I know that the fan cut-in temp and t-stat should be changed together. The fan can be reprogramed in the chip or tune.

With that said, IMHO, the engine should be at a proper operating temperature to be sure that all of the sensors operate correctly and so the engine has less friction. The statement regarding most cars run better when cooler, (I think) has to do with the intake air charge. I know that the intake air needs to be real cool. If the engine runs hot, then the intake gets hot. But if one could figure out the optimum engine temp and couple that with cool intake air, then that would be the best IMO.

As for my own car, KB sent me a 160 degree t-stat and the engine will not come up to operating temp. I will have to put in a hotter t-stat. I might go to a 180. If that does not work, then I will go back to stock. I live where it gets REAL cold and the 160 just does not cut it.

vvzer0incvv said:
I could be wrong but i read on thridgen.org that by switching to a lower Tstat and not adjusting the fan turn on temps that it causes an open condition in the cooling system. I don't know much about mustangs yet but i will use my camaro as an example. Stock turn on temp for a 92 camaro's fan is 221F and the the turn off is 185F. They have a 190F Tstat. By switching to a 180F Tstat once the car warms up the Tstat will stay open becuase the fan won't cool it enough to close it back up. Thats where the open system comes into play.

Like i said i don't know much about mustangs but without a cooler fan switch in my camaro the car funs like crap. I could be wrong but i thought that i would share. And almost every performance car runs better when they are cooler.

The mustang's fan wont turn on at 180 either, thats programed in the ECU. A lot of guys put in a manual fan switch, but with just the thermostat in, I've only noticed better performance.. I've checked the coolant temp through the dash's diagnostics and it stays between 177 and 180 while driving. My only other concern is wether or not this will have an adverse effect on the water pumps lifespan.