180 Thermostat worth doing?

menasci

Aug 17, 2003
Chandler, AZ
So is a 180 Thermostat worth doing?
Some say if the car doesn't reach a certain temp (192) the car won't run like it should.
However,
Cooler engine, cooler air = better right?
Able to advance timing a bit more too?
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

180* 'Stat

menasci said:
So is a 180 Thermostat worth doing?
Some say if the car doesn't reach a certain temp (192) the car won't run like it should.
However,
Cooler engine, cooler air = better right?
Able to advance timing a bit more too?
:shrug:

With the later model cars lowering the 'stat temp probably won't be of any benefit AND the hotter 'stat helps keep your engine from building up sludge. I'd stay with stock-but that's just me!

I installed a 160 degree thermostat in my car and reprogrammed the fans to come on at 160 degrees rather than 208 and saw no difference in engine temperature in the summer because the radiator is inadequate to take enough heat out to maintain that temperature. When the weather cooled off, it was able to maintain the temp at 160 and I saw no noticible difference in performance and was able to pass the sniffer test when I had to get smogged. For cars with carburetors it helps because the engine runs richer, but for our cars it is probably a waste of time. You might be able to advance the timing a few degrees, but it is a lot of hassle for the potential gain. :nice: