18x9's or 17x some odds ???

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Hey fellas I'm doing a little wheel shoppin' and it doesn't seem like there are as many 17" wheel and tire packages out there, not as many as there used to be anyway. So what do you guys think about something like a 18x9. Would be for a 95 gt and I'm fixing to put springs on approx drop maybe 1.5". Would the 18's with say like a 275/35 fit and run well? Or would it handle crappy and such or should I just track down some 17's? I'm a lil tire retarded so any info opinions helps.

thanks

mike

• Sponsors (?)

The 18s would probably handle a little better, but would give you a rougher ride. I'm just not ready to make the jump to 18s, because 18" tires cost too much. Then again, I remember when 17" tires cost too much.

Kurt

18x9s and 18x10s. The 95 really needs the stagger.

255s or 265s up front WITH a bead protector. 295s in rear.

I have yokohoma S.drives which are a great sticky tire which has amazing rain capabilities. They suck in the snow because of no siping. I got these tires because the khumo MX was discontinued which was my last favorite tire.

Do not get wheels unless you are ready to buy good tires. Good doesnt mean the most expensive, however.

I have been there, done that and couldntw ait to get rid of the crap tires I bought because the initial wheel purchased forced me to go with a budget tire like sumitumos. A lot of mustang guys do this because thats what everyone does and it is what the magazines push with their packages. They just dont know better because they have never run the good tires. You cant go wrong with BFG kd series.

18s look better. tire cost is almost negligible at this point. for example, 17" staggered package w/ nitto's run about $1,265 where a 18" staggered package w/ nitto's run about $1435. that's only a $170 difference and your getting bigger tires.

i went from 17's up front with 255s and had rubbing to 18's with 265s and have no rubbing anymore. i was able to fit a 305/35-18 in the back without any modifications too. I will NEVER go back to 17s

18s look better. tire cost is almost negligible at this point. for example, 17" staggered package w/ nitto's run about $1,265 where a 18" staggered package w/ nitto's run about $1435. that's only a $170 difference and your getting bigger tires.

i went from 17's up front with 255s and had rubbing to 18's with 265s and have no rubbing anymore. i was able to fit a 305/35-18 in the back without any modifications too. I will NEVER go back to 17s

This.. I will never put 17"s on any vehicle I own in the future.. The new Fusion I'm ordering comes with 19's from the factory!!!!

I'm running 275/35/18's up front with ZERO issues, and its been lowered almost 2.5"

Here's a pic for those that think they bulge....

Fronttire.jpg

I'm running 315/30/18's in the rear and wouldn't want any other size either on a 10" rim..

coloredrearshotvignetted.jpg

Attachments

• Fronttire.jpg
    Fronttire.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74
  • coloredrearshotvignetted.jpg
    coloredrearshotvignetted.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 70
I had 18s, and the cost of replacing the tires was astronomical. The same tires in the 17s were $30 less per tire. This was a few years back and the tires were the Toyo R888s.

I would check the cost of getting just the tires (as though you already have the rims) and see what the cost difference would be between the 17s and 18s.

That was one reason I went with 17s when my FR500s were ruined. The other was it was very hard to find all-season tires for the 18s, and I wanted to be able to have the option of driving it in the dead of winter if I needed to. I can vouch by experience that summer only tires don't have much traction in 15* weather (especially if you have a 408!).