Fuel 190lph or 255lph?

The 190lph fuel pump went in my recently acquired '94 GT. The replacement BBK pump is $144 but I found a Carter 255lph for $55. Any reason not to use the 255? Everything I've owned has had a mechanical fuel pump so this is all new to me.

• Sponsors (?)

Walbro 255L will do fine. The Carter you're referring to could very well be a rebranded Walbro. Your fuel system style is return style so the extra volume will not be an issue.

If you decide down the road to do any significant upgrades, you'll need that 255L anyway. I would opt for the High-Pressure version. They're slightly more expensive.

Walbro 255L will do fine. The Carter you're referring to could very well be a rebranded Walbro. Your fuel system style is return style so the extra volume will not be an issue.

If you decide down the road to do any significant upgrades, you'll need that 255L anyway. I would opt for the High-Pressure version. They're slightly more expensive.
Thanks. The only thing on the whole car that hasn't been upgraded is the regulator. It's just a stock one, non adjustable or anything fancy. Would that cause me issues with a higher volume or pressure pump? At one time this car was a daily driver and I'd like to use it that way. I might leave the nitrous setup but I don't see myself using it very often.

Thanks. The only thing on the whole car that hasn't been upgraded is the regulator. It's just a stock one, non adjustable or anything fancy. Would that cause me issues with a higher volume or pressure pump? At one time this car was a daily driver and I'd like to use it that way. I might leave the nitrous setup but I don't see myself using it very often.
I use an OEM, Non-Adjustable fuel regulator too. KB blower and stroker setup. Nothing wrong with it at all.

The only [real] downside to pumping more gas than you need is that the unused portion returns to the tank. Over time, it can elevate fuel temps but this is generally with much larger pumps with more volume than a 255L.

You can ask around... 255L in-tank is pretty much the new standard. It's the starting point for engines that will see mods and will cover you for just about everything except the most extreme builds.

I'm not a fan of 190L pumps for reasons that may or may not affect you depending on what you do next. The 255s don't have the same limitation.

Walbro 255L [High Pressure]

The high-pressure portion is relevant for only one reason: The pump volume varies less with voltage and pressure changes. It's just more stable.

• Loved It!
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with everything that has been said about the 255 pump and will add to make sure you verify your walbro 255 is legit prior to installation.. China has been coping it for years and the quality as you could guess isn't close.

Do you actually need a 255 fuel pump? DO your mods support that much fuel? If not, i would use a pump more appropriate for your power level, otherwise all you do is circulate the fuel repeatedly while heating it up, and with stock fuel lines you will increase the pressure in the feed line before the FPR. This can stress all those fuel line connections, and rubber lines, which is an issue if this is all original parts and you aren't upgrading. Last thing you want to do is pop a fuel line off. If you are stock(ish) the most i would get is a 155.

I would only get a walbro, and not off Amazon as many fakes are circulating there

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Do you actually need a 255 fuel pump? DO your mods support that much fuel? If not, i would use a pump more appropriate for your power level, otherwise all you do is circulate the fuel repeatedly while heating it up, and with stock fuel lines you will increase the pressure in the feed line before the FPR. This can stress all those fuel line connections, and rubber lines, which is an issue if this is all original parts and you aren't upgrading. Last thing you want to do is pop a fuel line off. If you are stock(ish) the most i would get is a 155.

I would only get a walbro, and not off Amazon as many fakes are circulating there
I honestly have no idea if I need it or not. The car was built nearly 10 years ago and the guy said it had a 190lph BBK pump in it. There's really nothing stock on or in the motor. Allegedly it made 284hp to the tires without the nitrous but the previous owner hasn't gave me the dyno sheet yet for proof. It does/did run strong for a 302 until the pump started failing. Then it has a ZEX dry setup with 125 jet. I ordered the 255lph Walbro. The previous owner said anything over 190lph would be better than the car running lean if I used the nitrous. I'm going of him and all of you because I know nothing about efi.

There is no downside to running a 255lph. There is no significant heat from circulating fuel. Keep in mind that the car at idle recirculates almost all the fuel anyway. Saying that the car is going to have a problem with fuel heat is like saying a car that idles gets hot fuel.

Kurt

There is no downside to running a 255lph. There is no significant heat from circulating fuel. Keep in mind that the car at idle recirculates almost all the fuel anyway. Saying that the car is going to have a problem with fuel heat is like saying a car that idles gets hot fuel.

Kurt
Only downside I can think of is they tend to be a little noisier. This may matter if you're a girl or something.

• Wow
Only downside I can think of is they tend to be a little noisier. This may matter if you're a girl or something.
Haha. This pile has an off road X-pipe and Super 10s dumped before the rear axle. I can't hear anything! When I looked at the car I was wondering why it didn't have a radio. I found my answer driving it home. I'm definitely headed to an exhaust shop after I get the pump back in.

Finally got a chance to drop the tank. The rubber hose from the pump was busted open. I guess that explains the low fuel pressure. The car would just barely idle when I could finally get it started and die if I touched the gas. Curiously the sock on the bottom was completely gone. Just the top of it with the metal ring is all that was left. I think the old pump is fine but I went ahead and put in the new one. Some of the old sock might've got sucked into the pump and I don't want to pull this tank again anytime soon. Let it prime twice and it started right up. Ran a little rough for a few minutes but then it cleared out and the check engine light went off on it's own. The 255 should be plenty for any more upgrades in the future. On a side note the guy told me it had a BBK pump in it but it clearly says Carter on it. Maybe Carter makes BBK pumps, I don't know. Thanks for all the advice. I'm more than satisfied to be back on the road.
20210627_203302.jpg

Actually - there can be an issue with running more pump than you really need. Back pressure in the return line (smaller than the supply side) and inconsistent FP due to too much supply side pressure. Which can then lead to fuel aeration at the pump input due to forcing a cubic football field of fuel through a 1/4 return line that exits above the fuel level in the tank.

Don't guess, use this to calculate: https://raceworks.com.au/calculators/fuel-pump-calculator/

• Haha
Actually - there can be an issue with running more pump than you really need. Back pressure in the return line (smaller than the supply side) and inconsistent FP due to too much supply side pressure. Which can then lead to fuel aeration at the pump input due to forcing a cubic football field of fuel through a 1/4 return line that exits above the fuel level in the tank.

Don't guess, use this to calculate: https://raceworks.com.au/calculators/fuel-pump-calculator/
Myth. You can run 600hp through the stock fuel system with a Walbro 340lph, and when the engine is idling, it will be returning almost all the fuel back to the tank.

Kurt

• PlusOne
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the 500 HP region (480 RW). Stock fuel system with exception of Walbro 255L high pressure and Kenn Bell Boost-A-Pump (this regulates voltage to the fuel pump for anybody not familiar). I even run the OEM FPR and rails. :shrug:

In all of my years, I have only seen one fuel system put together that was just... too... much. It was an Aeromotive setup. One particular Texas resident was circulating so much fuel back and forth between the engine bay and tank that fuel would start to boil when he sat idle for too long.

This same person (who used to be a member here a long time ago) also built enough power and traction to break off all the studs on the rears and sit the car's ass right down the pavement (it was pretty epic). He even posted pics of the car sitting in the street with no rear wheels. LoL

Pointing and laughing ensued and the dude wasn't heard from again. Someday, I'll have to try and see if that thread still exists.

Myth. You can run 600hp through the stock fuel system with a Walbro 340lph, and when the engine is idling, it will be returning almost all the fuel back to the tank.

Kurt
I never said that it wouldn't return the fuel. I said you could have inconsistent FP. Big difference. And there is zero benefit for over pumping. none.