1962 SBF harmonic balancer

• Sponsors (?)

It should look like this (see the casting number?):

Attachments

• 2606263.jpg
    2606263.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 153
If you are looking to reuse it on a '62 or '63 260, I'd be somewhat skeptical that someone put a generic aftermarket 289 damper on it that would throw the engine out of balance.

actually my block is a '94 5.0 but I need to use a similar balancer and water pump for my pullies to align with the aftermarket AC. And I was looking for the part number on the water pump and the only thing stamped on it is PH 288. I'm using the same flywheel that was on the 260 so the balance should be good ??

Hi 2Blue2. sorry didn't mean to ignore your post. The 260 went into production in 1961 to be used in 1962. My Fairlane VIN says it came with the 260. This is my first "Hot Rod" type project. when I started I thought it was just going to be a SBF out and an SBF back in. I didn't know about all the changes that took place in 1963 or chances are good I would have chosen a newer car But I do like the looks of the '62

Attachments

• Fairlane 1.jpg
    Fairlane 1.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: 1 user
A '94 5.0 needs a 50 Oz balancer AND flywheel, so you can't use those.

Actually the 347 stroker kit I got from Scat has a 28 oz. external balance and came with a 28.oz balancer. But the kit also came with a flexplate. Would the balance be different between an automatic and a 4 speed ? The balancer also had this pully bolted to it which weighs as much as the balancer

Attachments

• pully.jpg
    pully.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
If SCAT gave you a stroker kit with a 28 Oz balancer that fits a 1 piece seal block, then you should probably need a 28 Oz flywheel to go with it.
Since it's not stock, I would check with SCAT to see what their kit requires.

If SCAT gave you a stroker kit with a 28 Oz balancer that fits a 1 piece seal block, then you should probably need a 28 Oz flywheel to go with it.
Since it's not stock, I would check with SCAT to see what their kit requires.

Just talked with Scat. They only use 28 oz. balancers with their kits they said it just works better with their cranks. I was happy to hear that, I still at least have a chance at using the fly wheel from the 260. let you know when I get it apart

Reactions: 1 user