1964 1/2 mustang: Halogen headlights?

Thetvirus

Jul 31, 2009
1964.5 mustang: I want to upgrade from incandescent headlights to halogens so I can actually see more than 5 feet in front of the mustang, the question is do they work with the stock wiring? I was looking at slyvania, the normal halogen are 40 watts lowbeam and 60 watts highbeam, or they also have the brighter silverstar which are 55 watts low and 65 watts high, would either of these work fine with stock wiring? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The stock wiring cant handle much over a stock bulb.. You should do a relay kit.. Very easy to install. You can make your own or buy one.

I bought the 69 (4 lights) version of this, with the relay kit. Reenmachine :: Modern Lighting :: H4 Halogen Headlights & Wiring Harnesses :: Reenmachine H4 Halogen Classic Headlamp Conversion Kit, 2 x 7" - The website for reenmachine Incorporated, builders of exotic custom vintage Ford Mustangs with a high-tech

The wiring uses one of the original light sockets to trigger the relay. the only thing you have to do is find a place to mount the relays and run power off the battery and then to a ground. You may have to open up the hole in the headlight bucket to make clearance for the rubber boot on the back of the new bulb.

The low beams on the new bulbs were atleast twice as bright as the high beams on the original bulbs.

DO NOT get Silverstar. They have a coating on the halogen bulb. This just makes them appear whiter but actually reduces the usable light emitted from them.

Get Sylvania Xtravision. The cost less than Silverstar and are better. The Xtravision is 55 watt low and 65 high. I have them on my car and really like them. Another good option is GE Nighthawk.

You can run regular Halogen with the stock wiring, but I wouldn't recommend doing it with the Xtravision. Just get a headlight relay setup. It will carry the load of the lights and deliver more power to them.

The regular replacement Halogens should work alright with the stock wiring. I did this for years.

I have this one.

RJM Injection Tech » Headlight Harness

You can also make your own.

Brighter Headlights

I have regular halogen bulbs with stock wiring right now. I did get a new headlight switch a long time ago. They work great and the boot fit fine. I will wire in a relay one of these days. Currently they dim just a little when I idle. Overall they are great and I can see well.