1965 289 Timing Cover on a 1987 5.0HO

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Hi All,
Ok so I'm taking my block and crank in tomorrow for mag and decking etc:banana: . My block is a 1987HO roller but I want the engine to run on carb not EFI (nostalgia). I have a timing cover from a 1965 289 and am thinking this may work on the 5.0 to get the dipstick up front and accept the fuel pump etc.

I can't seem to find any clear answer on this. A few websites that say yes it will bolt right on but then when I place mine against the 5.0 block I find there's dowel pins on the 5.0 block that will need to be removed (any idea how?). Or do I drill out the timing chain cover so the dowels will fit and then not put a bolt there?? I'm wondering if anyone has clear direction on this?

Other notes:
I will plug the old dipstick hole with a wooden dowel or may tap it.
I will use the 50oz imbalancer

Q1 - any suggestions on something I'm missing or steps to take here?
Q2 - What water pump should I use with an old timing cover? Reverse rotation or not?? Weren't 5.0's a reverse rotation pump?

Thank for any help you can provide.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi All,
Ok so I'm taking my block and crank in tomorrow for mag and decking etc:banana: . My block is a 1987HO roller but I want the engine to run on carb not EFI (nostalgia). I have a timing cover from a 1965 289 and am thinking this may work on the 5.0 to get the dipstick up front and accept the fuel pump etc.

I can't seem to find any clear answer on this. A few websites that say yes it will bolt right on but then when I place mine against the 5.0 block I find there's dowel pins on the 5.0 block that will need to be removed (any idea how?). Or do I drill out the timing chain cover so the dowels will fit and then not put a bolt there?? I'm wondering if anyone has clear direction on this?

Other notes:

Q2 - What water pump should I use with an old timing cover? Reverse rotation or not?? Weren't 5.0's a reverse rotation pump?

the dowls i believe are press in a good pair of vise grips may pull them . the early timing cover will work but 65 takes a 65 water pump and 66 takes a 66 up water pump so be sure what cover you have ,regular rotation if you are going to use regular belts .if you want to run a regular fuel pump you will need a fuel pump eccentric for the front of the timming gear.they make a plastic plug for the dipstic hole in the block ,seal it in.

Hi All,

Other notes:

the dowls i believe are press in a good pair of vise grips may pull them . the early timing cover will work but 65 takes a 65 water pump and 66 takes a 66 up water pump so be sure what cover you have ,regular rotation if you are going to use regular belts .if you want to run a regular fuel pump you will need a fuel pump eccentric for the front of the timming gear.they make a plastic plug for the dipstic hole in the block ,seal it in.

Thanks horsesense. The part number on the timing chain cover I have is: C50E-6059-A1 so that's a 65. I didn't realize there was a diff between a 65 and 66 water pump. So I guess if I use standard pulleys (not serp) then a standard rotation water pump would be in order right. I have also heard some issues about the timing pointer for the 50oz imbalancer but if all the bolt holes are there then why would that be an issue? I'm a little nervous about doing this b/c it's my first engine build and I'm already mixing dated and late model parts:shrug:.

Thanks horsesense. The part number on the timing chain cover I have is: C50E-6059-A1 so that's a 65. I didn't realize there was a diff between a 65 and 66 water pump. So I guess if I use standard pulleys (not serp) then a standard rotation water pump would be in order right. I have also heard some issues about the timing pointer for the 50oz imbalancer but if all the bolt holes are there then why would that be an issue? I'm a little nervous about doing this b/c it's my first engine build and I'm already mixing dated and late model parts:shrug:.
as long as you use 50 oz from balancer to fly wheel no problem.set your top dead center and use timing tape on your balancer just line up the tdc with your pointer and your good .65 has an early water pump you can tell the pump by the back .the 65 is aluminum and the back is open. the 66 is usualy cast iron ,but not always, and has a bolt on tin cover on the back side .