1965 6 cylinder conversion to 5.0 EFI

raexcct2

May 18, 2004
Here's my situation:

I own a 1965 200 CI Fastback and want to convert it to 5.0 EFI. I bought a 1989 5.0 Mustang Coupe with Tremec 5 speed transmission. It also has the 8.8 rear end. It is a 4 lug setup.

I want to use the 5.0 EFI, the Tremec transmission and the rearend plus the front and rear brakes if possible.

My questions are: Can the 8.8 rear end be used on the 65 (convert to leaf spring suspension) or is there a kit to convert 65 to 8.8 suspension?

Can any of the front brakes or suspension be used in the 65?

Last item: The 89 has functional air conditioning while my 65 has no A/C. Can the 89 A/C be used in the 65?

Sorry for all the questions. I am getting back into Mustangs after having sold my first car (1966 Mustang-also 6 cylinder) back in 1982.

Hector

Attachments

• mustang2.jpg
    mustang2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 536
  • Sponsors (?)

*The 8.8 will not fit without major mods so I suggest just selling it and putting the money towards the right rearend.

*The front brakes are a no-go also unless you want to do tons of fab work and find rotors that will work

*The only part of the AC system that is useable in the FB is the compessor.

Sorry for all the bad news.

If you want an 8.8 you can use one from an explorer, they are a pretty easy swap. The above reply pretty much covered it all. A word of advice, dont throw away a single part from the EFI mustang till youre done.. you never know what you'll need.. I learned the hard way.

Does the Ford Explorer rear end have to be modified in any way? I thought the Explorer rear end was too wide? If you know for sure, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]

On a side note, I bought a set of the emergency flasher unit for the 1965 Mustang but I do not have any instructions on how to wire the emergency flashers. Does anyone have a copy of the original Ford instructions that they can make for me?

the explorer rear is too wide for the 65-66 cars. you can mod the rear suspension to use the 8.8 rear, contact griggs racing. they have the parts you need. as for the front, you can use the front brakes and spindles if you use the fatman fabrications strut conversion kit. it outlines all the parts you need for the conversion and what mods need to be done. the nice thing about their kit is it is all bolt in stuff.

I've just built up a 68 coupe which was formerly a six cylinder. I used a motor/tranny from a 93 GT complete with EFI. I found it much easier to use tried and true parts for the suspension and brakes however. I converted the front to 5 lugs using Granada spindles and brakes and put in a 9 inch rear from a 68. I'm pretty happy with the results and there was no major fabrication required. My recommendation would be to use the powertrain from the late model, part out whats left and use the money to buy your suspension and brake parts...

68Restoman

I guess I'll have to do some measuring and find out how much I will have to get the Explorer rear end narrowed. For $530 shipped, I couldn't pass up the complete rear end (disk brakes included).

The hardest part was trying to find the V-8 spindles. Had to scour junkyards around the country and E-Bay. Some were reasonable,, some were outrageous ($400 for L & R spindle set). I didn't buy the $400 ones. I did jump the gun and after searching with no luck, I bought the first set that I came across ($250.00).

I plan on using the Flaming River rack and pinion set and tilt steering column but for now will keep the six cylinder engine due to the gas prices.

I also decided to fix up the 89 donor car (having new floorpans installed). I guess I got the Mustang bug bad for the classic and Fox Body Mustangs.

raexcct2 said:
I guess I'll have to do some measuring and find out how much I will have to get the Explorer rear end narrowed. For $530 shipped, I couldn't pass up tehe complete rear end (disk brakes included).

The hardest part was trying to find the V-8 spindles. Had to scour junkyards around the country and E-Bay. Some were reasonable,, some were outrageous ($400 for L & R spindle set). I didn't buy the $400 ones. I did jump the gun and after searching with no luck, I bought the first set that I came across ($250.00).

I plan on using the Flaming River rack and pinion set and tilt steering column but for now will keep the six cylinder engine due to the gas prices.

I also decided to fix up the 89 donor car (having new floorpans installed). I guess I got the Mustang bug bad for the classic and Fox Body Mustangs.

for 250 bucks yo ucould have put granada disk brakes on it.

5.0 switch

Swapped a 65 6 whacker over to 289 last year for a friend of a friend (customer). Many different options on the brakes, etc, and everyone seems to be on the ball. The brakes are your personal preference. Keep one other thing in mind- you will also need a V-8 pitman arm.. The guy I did the job for last year was fortunate enough to find a ragged out parts car complete for 300 bucks. And as I recall, he wanted to keep manual steering, and the power pitman off the parts car wouldn't work. The 6 pitman arm hit the tri y's REAL hard. Even the V-8 arm required a small dimple in the tube to get it to clear. We also added power brakes with the stock V-8 drums on the front, and this was not an easy pleasant trouble free swap either. Good luck.

for 250 bucks yo ucould have put granada disk brakes on it.

I didn't want Granada disk brakes. I wanted a modern rack and pinion setup.
This is the reason I am going with the Flaming River rack and pinion steering kit. I can get rid of all the old steering items plus I will put in their tilt steering column to boot. The kit includes the new tie rod ends which is the only piece of the old suspension that is used with the Flaming River kit.

The Flaming River R&P setup does not work with headers. Over at www.vintage-mustang.com, they had a group buy on the R&P and at least 3 people have returned theirs after 4 month fights to try to get them to work, trying the same headers that FR used, trying a big-block kit on a small-block car and so on. There are also about 7 others over there (VMF) trying to get the R&P to work, and meeting with little success in any respect.
HTH
--Kyle

Kyle,

Thanks for the heads up. After reading through most of the posts at vintage-mustang.com, it seems they also had a problem with excessive bumpsteer also. Don't quite understand what they were saying but the general consensus was that the flaming river setup has too much. I guess I'll have to stat saving for the Fatman Fabrications.

Hector

1965 restomod

raexcct2, i have a 1965 mustang coupe that i am currently restomodding, Fatman Fabrications provides a kit that utilizes the shocks from your modern mustang as well as the 5.0 engine. I bought the kit and i am using a 1995 5.0 engine. the kit is 2000$ you need the spindles and brake assembly from a 94-02 mustang and the struts from a 79-93 mustang. The front suspension kit has caused me no major headakes so far and has proven to be a great buy. For the rear end i am also using the 8.8 for rear end from my 95, we are sending it to a shop to get it cut for about 800$ they cut it to size and then it bolts right in with Fatman's rear suspension kit that uses "half leafs" and coil overs, after the expenses of the kits and extras you are looking at no more than 5grand and it requires no fabrication it is all bolt on. I hope this information helps, i will be interested to see how your project ends up. The website for Fatman's front suspension is http://www.fatmanfab.com/06page19.htm

- Joseph

I guess I've been MIA awhile due to being Stop-Lossed twice and then working overseas after my retirement. My project was on hiatus the last 4 years due to this and other issues. Was planning on restarting this winter but now I have to redo paint job since some vandals decided to key up my Mustang while my garage door was open. Wife left it open while she did some yard work in back yard.