1965/66 Fastback Skeletons

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by Evan H, Jun 12, 2013.

  1. Found a company called Thoroughbred out of Ohio at Carlisle selling new skeletons/ rear clips, with or without body panels. They have a good reputation for their floors. Any idea whether it'd be a good bet to get one to convert my coupe to a fastback? their website is www.thoroughbredgt.com
  2. the only thing that would worry me is what is D.M.V. going to say. you would have to remove your front clip to finnish up the body. changing sheet metal is one thing messing with the frame may be frowned upon as other companies have found out. dont know:shrug:
  3. I'm sure they have that figured out and will probably have a Thoroughbred vin like the Dynacorn shell has.
  4. it is pretty hard to register a Dynacorn car in california, i dont know about other states . i would recamend checking into it first.
  5. Supposedly you can now take your existing vin # and transfer over on the Dynacorn body.
  6. isn't that part of what Unique Performance was shut down for? besides taking money and not delivering? that would be what used to be called a
    re body and not legal in california. may be in other states.
  7. Laws change every day. It just depends on how much money and influence you have to get it done. I would check with CA. to see if they go along with it. It might still vary state to state.
  8. No. Unique's main problem was taking $150,000 payments and then two years later had not delivered the cars.

    Compounding this was they were using convicts to do prep work, and one of the things they did to prep the bodies was remove the legitimate original VINs. This is a no-no in virtually every jurisdiction I know of. They should have simply left those old VINs on the car. That's what Shelby did.

    Dynacorn provides links to the relevant regulations in every state. Building your own car from various parts has been around since the days of the Model T, and perhaps longer. Complete or semi-complete body shells are simply a new wrinkle in this age-old hobby. Regulations vary widely. Do a lot of homework before you start spending money. Some do allow replacement of the body with no change in the VIN. A quaint provision that dates back to before the use of the unibody. If I lived in such a state, I would take advantage of that provision. Either way, though, it is a simple matter to add a stamped VIN to the stock original location. When doing repairs, if the fender apron must be replaced, it is legal to do so as part of a repair.

    There's a shop near here that could deliver any Mustang you wanted in 6-8 months if you gave them a check like that. Two or more years, on the part of Unique was judged to be criminal. Cutting the VINs off was icing on the prosecutorial cake.
  9. IIRC, California requires a receipt for every part of such a constructed vehicle. I figure that would be as hard to collect as building the car. Imagine getting a useable receipt from every vendor you bought from a flea market.

    You'd have to do it, too. California has so many government clerks they would probably assign one to phone each and every one of your receipts to verify your application.
  10. Unique's problem was that they were using the same vin # on multiple cars, not some much that they were replacing sheet metal.
  11. yep, it would be very hard . how would you get a reciept for something you have had for years and want to use like a motor or a transmition?