1965 Convertible Top Works Sometimes.....

70mach1

Founding Member
Oct 12, 2000
Works for only 5 seconds and then quits. After 2 or 3 minutes it works for another 5 seocnds. Takes me 10 minutes to lower or raise the stupid top.

Any idea why?? I think the switch may be getting hot during the 5 seconds of use. Not sure.
Anyone experience this??

• Sponsors (?)

Check the relays, they are $10 bucks each at Autozone, CSK, NAPA, etc.

Also check the ground wire, and toothed screw, without a proper ground the motor will not work.

If that doesn't work you can always take the motor apart and see if the brushes are ground down too much to make a solid contact.

And if you have the cash a new motor is ~$200 bucks.

I ended up going the $200 route... :(

To me it sounds like there is some sort of overload protection kicking in. A self-resetting breaker if you will. The load is too high so the breaker trips, you must wait a few minutes for the breaker to cool down and reset. Same sort of thing as the headlamp switch. I just don't know if such a system was used in the old verts.

If that's the case it could be caused by a faulty breaker/switch, the pump having to work too hard, or the motor wearing out.

70mach1 said:
Where are relays located? I will check the motor ground switch.

No relay, but there usually is a breaker located on the starter selonoid battery terminal that is the feed for the pump motor. It will have a large wire (#10?) attached to it that will enter the firewall.

Normally letting it cool off will reset it, although it could be bad.

A voltmeter or a test light should be used to test the electrics. More than likely it is doing its job and the motor has issues.

70mach1 said:
Works for only 5 seconds and then quits. After 2 or 3 minutes it works for another 5 seocnds. Takes me 10 minutes to lower or raise the stupid top.

Any idea why?? I think the switch may be getting hot during the 5 seconds of use. Not sure.
Anyone experience this??

There is a circuit breaker located by the starter relay. It should have a large red wire heading back to the pump. The pump stops because that breaker is tripping due to an overload. Mostly like your pump motor is burning up and drawing too much current.