1965 Fastback Mustang Project

rusty428cj

10 Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Port Richey Fl
I just picked up this new project today. We will be doing all the rust repair, removing the drip rails, adding metal flares and a few more surprises.
Chris leaves for Iraq for a year and while he is there serving our country we will be restoring his fastback. I think the hardest thing for Chris will be leaving his son.

01-5.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, It looks similar to a car i know back home in MS. it is a 1968 428 CJ that was only raced...was white with the big Cobra Jet on the rear fender, some drag pac car or something... guy who owns it bought it in 68 brand new and did nothing but race it till he blew the motor in the 70s some time and it has sat ever since rotting away and he wont sell it...

Looks like he will have something great to look forward to! My Girlfriend's Son leaves for a year in the Middle East this Tuesday and he is having a hard time saying goodbye to his three kids.

Umm, wow is all I can say... Good thing you are in the business to fix such cars. Was the car sitting outside for a while? How does the top of the dash get rusted like that? I look forward to seeing updates and good luck with the car!

Brian welded the shock towers for extra strength

56.jpg

The fender aprons had been replaced at one time but they had not cut out all of the old metal and were not welded in some places. Brian removed the fender apron cleaned it up and welded back in and repaired a little rust.

64.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

how are you going to do the rear section of the car?

Take off everything that has rust and repair each piece as we go. We are going to mini tub it and do away with the fold down rear seat and run a solid rear panel behind the seat. Some of the sheetmetal was backordered so we started with the front. All the inner structure will be epoxy primed to stop the rust.

This afternoon Brian starting making the right subframe connector. Since the early Mustang has no torque box in the front we are making one out of 2 x 2 and also welding it to the rocker and the rear torque box. He still has to finish welding it to the rocker

107.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

109.jpg