Progress Thread 1965 Mustang A-code coupe restoration/build thread

• Sponsors (?)

Right on Sean, another great metal work, mustang restoration video!
Did the firewall spot welds just fall apart with the air hammer?
You said the words pretty sure all of the rust repair will be done.
I guess the cowl is ok inside? Usually its in the same condition as old floors.
Don't remember you mentioning that in the vids.. Just curious.

Its looking good, so onto shell prep and paint?
Just chomping at the bit for the next vid.:D:p

Right on Sean, another great metal work, mustang restoration video!
Did the firewall spot welds just fall apart with the air hammer?
You said the words pretty sure all of the rust repair will be done.
I guess the cowl is ok inside? Usually its in the same condition as old floors.
Don't remember you mentioning that in the vids.. Just curious.

Its looking good, so onto shell prep and paint?
Just chomping at the bit for the next vid.:D:p

Yeah, it was so frail that the welds basically just fell apart. Easier for me! Inside the cowl is actually perfect, save for some debris that I’m having a heck of a time getting all out. Just a few leaves but no rust.

Next is finishing up dressing some welds, closing up all the holes in the drip rails (former vinyl top) and then epoxy sealer/primer.

I picked up a ton of parts this week so should be set for a few videos! Thanks again for watching and all your encouragement.

Sean

Reactions: 1 user
STROKER CRANK!
I'm just saying.

Did you do both sides the trunk floor (top and bottom) with the home-brew lizard skin?
Looking forward to seeing it all in epoxy primer. Such a great milestone.

Aloha Sean
Another great Autoanatomy video!
Was hoping for more in depth on the drip rails. All I saw was 5 or 6 tac welds on top?, I thought it was factory welded on from underneath.
couldn't even tell what got replaced. Throw some test fit shots in please. I'm just dreading fixing my own I guess.
You always do such a nice job on your videos. Great editing and sound track and such. Keep it up!:D
I think the only way to step it up is to hire a attractive co host with really big..........rear tires on her mustang.
Engine looks more complete in background. Will go check the parts pile for 65 v8 spindles.

mustang-girl-monday-alley-kreiling.jpg This gal, Alley Kreiling, would would work. :nice:

Aloha Sean
Another great Autoanatomy video!
Was hoping for more in depth on the drip rails. All I saw was 5 or 6 tac welds on top?, I thought it was factory welded on from underneath.
couldn't even tell what got replaced. Throw some test fit shots in please. I'm just dreading fixing my own I guess.
You always do such a nice job on your videos. Great editing and sound track and such. Keep it up!:D
I think the only way to step it up is to hire a attractive co host with really big..........rear tires on her mustang.
Engine looks more complete in background. Will go check the parts pile for 65 v8 spindles.

mustang-girl-monday-alley-kreiling.jpg This gal, Alley Kreiling, would would work. :nice:

Thanks for the kind words. The drip rails were intact just had holes drilled from the original vinyl roof. I was welding them closed because it’s getting a painted roof. I’m more than happy to take pics from the work and post them, if that’s helpful.

If you have spindles that would be amazing!

And yes, the new engine is peeking out from the back. It’s a 65 289 with 99k original miles. I’m going through it now and will show rebuild soon. Gonna be pretty basic...mild cam, new rings/bearings, etc. 4 bbl intake.

Sean

The drip rails were intact just had holes drilled from the original vinyl roof.

Roger! my bad, my drip rails need replacement or at least replacement of parts.

I definitely have a 8 inch but doubt were shipping it from Hawaii. Will find a moment to look for spindles.

Nice build! I'm going off the ranch on my 68 coupe build and have the entire drive train, front to rear, engine, transmission, suspensions, brakes, drive shaft, power steering gear, etc all for sale. Disk brakes are a newer MBM power conversion. 8" rear I rebuilt with 3.55 gears and tru-trac a couple years ago. Gear box and steering gear (some of it) was new in 2014. Very low miles, needs cleaning...some of this stuff doesn't even have rust yet...message me if interested.

:)
You asked for comments/votes so..
I vote no for flairs and side scoops and yes for 65 hood scoop.
Can you get the bullet rims on without flairs? Hope so
I like the clean surviver look with a couple extras ie. rims, hood scoop, and small GT style stripe on sides but NO Lemans on top.
Still missing that vinyl top I guess.
Will you be keeping most the stock emblems?

Great video. I like the wheels, but I'm to much of a purest to cut flares into. I have to admit it would look good flared out a little. I dont think it would look right with big scoops on it though. The hood scoop would look nice. I always liked those.

What product did you use for undercoating?

What product did you use for undercoating?

It's a product called RusFre on Amazon. Reaaaaaally sticky stuff to work with, but coats well and should provide good rust resistance and sound deadening.

And here's the gun I used to spray with:

I vote no for flairs and side scoops and yes for 65 hood scoop.
Roger that.

Can you get the bullet rims on without flairs? Hope so
Really would like to. It's a TIGHT fit and I'd like to keep the stock fenders, but we'll see

Will you be keeping most the stock emblems?
Yes, going to be essentially stock with some "tasteful" mods (or at least tasteful to me!)

Thanks again for all your support, and I promise Jeffrey I'll get those spindles on in the next video!

Sean