Progress Thread 1965 Mustang A-code coupe restoration/build thread

• Sponsors (?)

Shelby drop done, new control arms, new springs, new perches installed.

Never ever skimp on suspension.

Hoping to get it back on its feet soon!
Sean
2D94DE4B-5AA9-4D0D-8887-8E2864FD4969.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Yea! Honorable spindle mention.
Nice to see em on the car

Wow, Mounting tires at home, When comes to saying I did it all myself, you'll really mean it.

Still hoping for auto paint at home( I know thats hard to do and asking a lot) and the first fire up! Soon!

The 2002 brake stuff on the old spindle WoW!
Tiss something new for sure
Fun to see your CAD (cardboard aided design LOL) brackets
This home brew approach is really neat

You talked about shimming between the brackets, did this happen? No need?
Could the two brackets weld together and still work? just curious.
Where both brackets 1/2 inch plate?

Fun to see some progress Sean! Appreciate your efforts on the front lines of pandemic, stay safe

The 2002 brake stuff on the old spindle WoW!
Tiss something new for sure
Fun to see your CAD (cardboard aided design LOL) brackets
This home brew approach is really neat

Thanks man, I love using modern technology on older cars. My (gasp...1952 Chevrolet) has Jaguar XJ6 suspension and a 5.3/4L60 but looks stock.

You talked about shimming between the brackets, did this happen? No need?
I didn’t need to shim them, it worked out well as it was.

Could the two brackets weld together and still work? just curious.
Where both brackets 1/2 inch plate?

I made them two brackets because of assembly. It would be awfully hard to assemble the brakes if the two brackets were welded together, as there’s not that much room between the upright/knuckle and the bracket. Both plates are 3/8”

Fun to see some progress Sean! Appreciate your efforts on the front lines of pandemic, stay safe
Thanks man, stay safe out there in HI!

Last edited:
Doing a little exhaust work on the Mustang today. Doesn’t really need it now, but I had the parts and the time.

Doing Tri-Y headers to an X-pipe, back to single chamber mufflers with 2.5” pipe. Probably way overkill for a mild 289, but it needs to be heard.

Sean

E55DAD55-F819-408F-AF90-996DA28BE648.jpeg

CD0E0424-BA81-48CD-8C71-67F2C347C446.jpeg

051B2518-109A-43F5-ADF2-F2ADC65D2DF3.jpeg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
I find X-pipes a little raspy myself. I plan to run true separate dual exhaust myself....but with a v6 an H-pipe or X-pipe does nothing for power, so I can get away with that...not true with a v8(at least not without crazy crossover longtube headers like the old Ford GT40 had anyway) that tailpipe does look a little close to the gas tank though? You have enough room at that clamp to clock it downward to gain a touch of clearance?

Wicked,

I agree they’re a little raspier than an H-pipe, but personally like the sound. The exhaust pipe is rotated down slightly, so when it‘s clocked appropriately there’s more than an inch of clearance between the tank and the pipe. I also plan to build a small heat shield right at the corner of the tank (on both sides).

Joe,
thanks for watching and for your support. We’ll make it through this together!

Sean