1965 mustang restoration... please help.

ocfrd

Aug 4, 2006
i have a 65 mustang coupe im restoring, it is my first project car, it was primed and paited last year and now its reassembly. Not as easy as i imagined, but nothing has been. I have a few questions i need answering to, im not expecting to get them all but any but of advice can help. i havent learn how to post pictures but when i do ill add a few on. so heres the Q's

I have a standard 3 spd heater main underdash wire harness, how do i add the gt fog lamps? i have the stuff but i need to know where it attaches to the harness and where the circuit breaker goes.

My car came with deluxe interior factory, i had the deluxe doors, they were pretty nasty so i bought new repo ones, they dont have the courtesy light cut out, do i have to make it myself? ** Most importantly it seems no matter how hard ive tried i cant line the doors up properly, there is a big gap on the back side of the doors, the windows so the gap the most, im thinking it could be many of things, bad repos the are incorrect and the hinges, or im not doing it right maybe the window components are not lining up properly......

i have many more questions but i wont get ahead of myself, thanks for your time.

Collin

1965 289 Mustang GT conversion

Check out the restoration page leave some comments

users.adelphia.net/~fomoco1965

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on fog lights and you will find some instructions I wrote up. You can also find some instructions written up (technical write up section) on CJ Pony Parts website. It's not hard, just take your time and do one thing at a time.

The door lining up will always be an issue on these old cars. You can adjust your door and your front fender to conpensate for the alignment. Look at your hinges etc to see if they need to be rebuilt and affect alignment.

I have no idea about the deluxe interior but chances are you do have to cut it.
Someone will answer that definitively.

Good luck and keep the faith...

Hello Collin,
Like 66moneypit said: Keep the faith!

I am just finishing up the restoration of my 66 289 coupe with pony interior, so I think I can help you. I bought the factory electrical assembly manual from Virginia Classic Mustang (virginiaclassicmustang.com) for 14.95, but I'm sure other parts companies have them. It will show you how the entire electrical system is assembled. I would also invest in some of the other assembly manuals for the body, interior, and engine. They have very detailed diagrams and will help you throughout the restoration.

As for the deluxe lights, they don't go into the vinyl door panel, they go in the lower back corner of the door itself. You will need to cut a hole in the steel. If you decide to do this or have a body shop do this, be sure to order the light assemblies before you cut so the mounting holes are in the proper location.

I never had a problem with my doors lining up. My body shop installed all of the doors and fenders for me. I did replace all of the window regulators and regulator scissors and I got my windows to line up pretty well, but I'm not going to worry about it until I get the weatherstripping put in so I can make a final adjustment.

I hope I helped.
Carl