1966 351 swap exhaust manifold

gpp

Jul 3, 2005
40 years ago i put a 351 in a 1966 mustang using stock exhaust manifolds.needless to say i ran into the same problems then that everyone is running into now.now,40 years later has anyone come up with a solution to this problem other than a torch and a ford hammer?i dont want big tube headers,700$ headers,or any solution that almost fits.you would think there would be a stock exhaust manifold that would fit but we never found one.so i ask the younger generation,or older, what are you doing for this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

If it's a 351w, Headman makes a real reasonable set. When I put my 351w in my 68, the headers I bought said they were swap headers for 65-68 Mustangs. I think they were only like 150$.

windsor,and putting them in 67 and later isnt a problem since the shock towers are wider.and thats part of the problem,products made for say 65 to 68 dont fit the 65 and 66 very well,if at all,so thats why i wanted to see if someone has done it without clearance problems.

windsor,and putting them in 67 and later isnt a problem since the shock towers are wider.and thats part of the problem,products made for say 65 to 68 dont fit the 65 and 66 very well,if at all,so thats why i wanted to see if someone has done it without clearance problems.

I have a set of those headman headers I had in my 66 with a 351W. They fit without any denting, massaging, cutting etc, even had good clearance for a clutch cable. $100+shipping if you want them. I have 351C heads so I can't use them anymore. I'll even clean them up and put some black high temp header paint on them for you.

Maverick/Comet guys putting 351w use stock Mav 302 manifolds on the engine if they are too cheap to get headers. They are tight but work.

So you might wonder what the difference in engine bay is...
Same width as 65-66, but shorter. Firewall is closer to the back of the engine.
The Stang should be able to use the 289 HiPo knock off manifolds.
The Mav uses the same manifold on the driver side. The passenger side though uses a short log because of the firewall clearance, the Hipo won't fit.

I would suggest Mav v8 manifolds unless you want to spring for a repop set of Hipos... But if you did that, you could just do the headers.

Maverick/Comet guys putting 351w use stock Mav 302 manifolds on the engine if they are too cheap to get headers. They are tight but work.

So you might wonder what the difference in engine bay is...
Same width as 65-66, but shorter. Firewall is closer to the back of the engine.
The Stang should be able to use the 289 HiPo knock off manifolds.
The Mav uses the same manifold on the driver side. The passenger side though uses a short log because of the firewall clearance, the Hipo won't fit.

I would suggest Mav v8 manifolds unless you want to spring for a repop set of Hipos... But if you did that, you could just do the headers.

I haven't seen you in a whille!:stick:

I haven't seen you in a whille!:stick:

Got rid of my Maverick, son has my F150, never had a Stang, and don't even have my Z28 anymore... So I don't get around the car forums much anymore.

I traded my last Maverick for a 94 5.0 convertible for my son so he could have a newer car. My 2nd son is mechanically inept, so an old Ford was out.

My uncle has a 73 Mach that is pretty much disassembled. If I could catch up on bills (bad economy), I could talk him out of that. But it is not in the cards right now.

I only get around Stangnet now when I am working on my oldest son's Fox body, or my 2nd's 94 GT. Otherwise it's Facebook for me.