1966 Fastback A code 4-speed worth?

I found a '66 fastback with the 289 4v, 4 speed, in need of a total restoration. The car looks like it has a ton of miles on it, but i think it still has the original motor/ trans. It has the standard interior with the fold down rear seat. It has a little rust in the floor pans, but nothing that bad. It doesn't look like it was ever hit, although it may have a little damage in the rear end. I was thinking of offering the guy about $8,500 for it. Is that a good deal? What are they worth? I noticed there were a few for sale online in the high 20's that looked pretty nice. Is it better to get a restored driver?

• Sponsors (?)

No, I don't think they did. I didn't get a very good look at the car, but I noticed it doesn't have the fog lamps so i'm assuming it isn't a GT. The fender chrome was leaded in and the car had been somewhat hot rodded, so someone may have removed the GT equipment. Any ideas on value?

Here's pricing from www.nadaguide.com:

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
$7,200 $15,000 $27,250
Options
4 Speed Transmission 10% 10% 10%
Mustang 289/225 HP Eng'a' 10% 10% 10%

TOTAL PRICE
$8,640 $18,000* $32,700

This assumes no major accidents and a clean title.
On the other hand the fastback market is red hot now. I saw a '65 C code rustbucket sell for $12,500 last week.
Usually for any rust you see expect 5 times as much you don't. I usually buy a car that needs very little body work and do the engine/tranny/electrical/upholstery work myself.
Hope this helps, MikeR

I just passed on a 65 fastback- perfect and solid car, 289 and factory 4 speed and 4 bbl. Almost mit condition with Torq thrust "D" with those exspensive flat center caps. A little nicer shade of Bullit green, guy was asking 16,500 for it. I bought a convertable instead, paid almost as much and it needs paint. Car might still be for sale.

Well, I offered the guy $6,000 cash and about $2,000 in car parts that he needs, and he took it. So altogether I only will only have about $7,000 in it. I didn't get a very good look at the car, so I may change my mind when I pick it up. Anyone think I may be paying too much?