1966 I6 to V6 motor swap

Redwolff64

Apr 25, 2012
Fort Campbell
I'm new to Mustangs, but know enough about cars to get by. I have a 1966 coupe with a beat up, barely functioning inline 6. I want to make this stang my daily driver, so I want to put a newer v6 with efi in it. I have access to an engine from a 98 mustang. How hard would this be overall? Also, any hints, tips, or ideas would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Its not a widely done swap, you will probably be fabricating mounts for the engine and transmission at the minimum. Not to mention the electrical work. You will not find a whole lot of reference material online. I'm not sure how much HP the V6 makes, so I'm not sure whether you would need to switch out the rear end, but it would probably be a good idea.

My advice would be go for a very mild V8 with an AOD transmission, while you are at it get a rear end with nice highway gears. This will give you good gas mileage and driveability. If you want to throw an EFI conversion in there too just for the challenge.

Another way to go is take some time to consider keeping the I6, there are a lot of things you can do to make it better. I've even seen some that were fuel injected.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

check out the forums at www.fordsix.com. we have a lot of very knowledgeable people there who can tell you all the ins and outs of modifying the small six. and also check out www.classicinlines.com for ford six cylinder performance parts, INCLUDING an aluminum cylinder head, a variety of camshafts(and custom grinds are no more expensive than the ones available on the website) that are made by clay smith cams. they can also modify the stock ford six head in a number of ways if you cant afford the aluminum head, and sometimes they have heads from australia and argentina(those are rarer though in this country).

classicinlines also have all the little stuff you need, arp bolts/studs, dual roller timing chain and gears, etc. they also have a bunch of tech articles on a variety of subjects for you to peruse.

your looking at a lot of work. better yet, I have an inline 6 that runs great, with a 3 speed trans sitting here in my garage, just waiting for someone to come get it. I just pulled it out of my 65

$100 bucks and the whole setup is yours. give me a shout, 815 514 0380 -Tony

p.s. I also have a T-5 you can have for an extra 400 bucks.