1966 Mustang 289 missing timing indicator

RockingHStang

Sep 8, 2009
I have a 1966 Stang with a 289. I bought it a month ago and have a strange question. It is eveident that the timing cover has been off the car - the cover that is on now is super clean with a fresh coat of ford blue paint.

Here is the problem: the timing tab or indicator is not there. I think it is supposed to be a little "tit" that sticks out of the timing cover at about 2:00 just over the harmonic balanacer - about the size of your little toe? There is a threaded hole in the timing cover at about the right location.

Here are the questions: Do the indicators screw in like a bolt? Did the last guy just forget to put it back in the timing cover? If so, does anyone sell an after market timing indicator like the original? Has anyone run into this before? Could it be someone put an after market or later model timing cover on this engine and did not bother with the timing tab?

Thanks for your help. I want to get this horse tuned up right!

• Sponsors (?)

Here are the questions: Do the indicators screw in like a bolt? Did the last guy just forget to put it back in the timing cover? If so, does anyone sell an after market timing indicator like the original? Has anyone run into this before? Could it be someone put an after market or later model timing cover on this engine and did not bother with the timing tab?

The later model had a pointer, which is available new.

View attachment 246305