1966 Mustang Heating Problem Help!

bpage4110

Nov 11, 2015
Ok so I have a 1966 mustang 289 with 302 heads automatic no a/c its over heating when I sit still for a few minutes is there anything I can do to fix this asap? I live in myrtle beach and mustang week is coming up and I know I will be doing a lot of sitting still in traffic.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The best thing is to find out why its overheating. You might try flushing the radiator with a radiator flush kit first or have a radiator shop clean it for you. Maybe remove or replace your thermostat (could be sticking). Make sure its tuned up properely. If it starts overheating you could turn your heater on with fan on high - this helps cool because your heater core is just a small radiator but located under your dash. This will make it uncomfortable for you from the heat but will save your engine.
Last you could upgrade to a aluminum radiator with electric fan.

I had a similar problem with a '66 6 cylinder. Running down the road it was fine. Stop for a few minutes and it overheated. Tried almost everything. Removed thermostat, installed 7 bladed fan, built and installed a fan shroud, checked timing chain, and rodded out the 3-row radiator but no joy. I thought that the engine might be scaled in the water jacket and restricting coolant flow. So I took another engine I had and disassembled it completely, removed expansion plugs and cleaned the water jacket with a hacksaw blade. NO scaling remained. Did a complete overhaul and reassembled the engine. Installed it and overheating continued. Finally broke sown and installed an aluminum radiator and since I removed the thermostat, it will barely get the temp gauge into the normal range now. I think I found the radiator on EBay for around $110.

The best thing is to find out why its overheating. You might try flushing the radiator with a radiator flush kit first or have a radiator shop clean it for you. Maybe remove or replace your thermostat (could be sticking). Make sure its tuned up properely. If it starts overheating you could turn your heater on with fan on high - this helps cool because your heater core is just a small radiator but located under your dash. This will make it uncomfortable for you from the heat but will save your engine.
Last you could upgrade to a aluminum radiator with electric fan.
if your radiator works good you should have a difference of at least 10 degrees cooler on the bottom hose than on the upper hose.