1967/68 Mustang 390 mess, need help

fedefly

Mar 4, 2011
Hi all,
Merry Xmas and happy new year to everyone.
Ok this is a long story and Im gonna need some help here.
The thing is I have a client who bring a car from the statesto spain.
The car is a 67/68 Mustang fastback that looks like a gt350.
The car fits a 5.0 liters engine difficult to identify but has an injection.
He wants to go classic, so he asked me to identify the car.
This was the text of the ad
THIS CAR IS SOLD, GO TO OUR HOME PAGE TO SEE OTHER VEHICLES FOR SALE. Take a good Look at this one... One of a Kind Custom Original Colorado GT "S" Code Mustang. This is what the owner has relayed to me about this one.. This car has undergone a complete restoration with lots of new parts and upgrades. This 67 GT350 Cobra tribute was Built by a professional car builder with many 67, 68 Mustang builds and a few $100K cars to his credit. The engine drive-train, electrical, cooling, suspension and entire car was inspected and tested by a separate high end mechanical shop to assure everything works well. 1995 GT Fuel Injected 5.0 V8 engine, professionally installed and wired. Engine had approx. 40,000 miles when pulled for this project and checked over during the restoration. All fluids changed in the engine and drive train. T-5, 5-spd. transmission from the same donor vehicle. Rebuilt Ford 9” rear end. The car was soundproofed with Dynamat. The hood is Steel Reinforced Fiberglass. It has all new interior with nice Corbeau sport seats & 4 point restraints and custom matching rear fold down seat. New door panels and new handles throughout, new exterior mirrors and lock sets. New headliner and finished trunk, with interior aluminum tail light covers. New Phantom Ultra lite gauge set with deluxe aluminum interior. The paint is a custom high metal flake silver, base coat clear coat that was blocked and wet blocked then cut with 3000 grit and rubbed for a mirror like smooth finish. A lot of time and effort was spent on this paint job with 4 - 5 coats of clear. We have the paint code so matching will not be an issue if needed. It has Ford grabber blue painted stripes, the side stripes are GT350 decals, 2007 Mustang GT grill with functional fog lights, Coy’s C-67 Eleanor 17” Wheels. New JBA ceramic coated headers with complete new dual exhaust. New aluminum big block radiator, Canton oil pan, K&N air filter and intake. New Power steering set up from Choko Stangs, Chris Alston support braces. Complete 4 wheel power disc brake set up, Drilled and vented discs. New KYB shocks all around, Shelby lowering front springs. New Front and rear torsion bars. New windshield and gasket. Bottom Photos show the underside is nice and photos of the car before being restored. It was a solid decent car, not a a Field Rat. Bondo will not be flying off this car like some, It is not a Chinese Body Shell car like some on the Market. Real Henry Ford Steel Car Here. Built to last a long time. Word is that Ford is coming back out with a 5.0 litre V8 GT350 Mustang.

Ok, here is the deal,
The VIN of the car is 7R02S118144
Decoded is:
Year: 7 1967
Plant: R San Jose, CA
Body Series: 02 2+2 Fastback
Engine: S 390 4v V8 GT

Unit: 118144 118144

Warranty Number: 7R02S118144
Year: 7 1967
Plant: R San Jose, CA
Body Series: 02 2+2 Fastback
Engine: S 390 4v V8 GT
Unit: 118144 118144
Miscellaneous Vehicle Data
Body: 63A 2+2 Fastback, Standard Interior
Color: I Lime Gold Metallic
Trim: 2G Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 14K October 14, 1966
D.S.O: 51 Denver
Axle: 1 3.00:1, Conventional
Trans: 5 4-Speed Manual

I helped him to get a 390FE engine and now I need to get him a Clutch, gearbox and everything we need to fit the engine in the car.
I have a friend here in spain, who has a toploader 4 speed gearbox, I would like to know, what kind of bellhousing I need to fit the gearbox and what kind of modifications I need to do to fit everything in the car. Is that possible¿
Do I must find a toploader 4 speed for an FE engine, or maybe I could use even one from a sbf¿
Im going crazy because The engine we bought, the seller write was a 390FE but the casting says it is a 428.
I have a lot of pictures from the car if someone want to give a hand We could follow this up by email
My email is [email protected]
Thanks and regards

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe this helps too.
The engine fitted in the car has no much numbers, but Ive found this
RF-E6SE-9K461-D3A
E6SE: "E" means it is from 80's the 6 means it is from 86, "S" means it came from a Thunderbird.

So, we have a Ford Mustang 390 fitted with a 1986 Thunderbird engine!!!!!!
Amazing hu

as you can see in the ad from ebay, the seller says the engine has this code
C7ME-A
But, the curier send us pictures and we only found
C7AE-A

When I looked for these numbers Ive found the C7AE-A is a 428 and the C7ME-A is a 390.
But I also found it is impossible to identify these engines by the casting, we must do a check measuring.

Ive said to my client, if the engine looks like a 390 and the only way to identify these engines is to take one spark plug out and measuring, then there is no problem. even when the engine was an original 390, maybe after the years, after rebuilding the engine, it goes up in cu.in.

Mother of god, this is a hard work to do, too much information and investigation work, that is why I decided to ask for some help, sometimes I feel lost.

Regards

FE identification can be a real confusing chore. Measurement is the only "almost" sure fire method to determine what an FE started life as. It the ONLY way to know what the engine is now! Over boring, crankshaft changes, etc. over 40-50 years have changed many an FE from something to something else. You can check here for general reference:

http://www.fordification.com/tech/castingnumbers-FEblock.htm

Be aware that there was at least one Ford factory "service block" (I'm not certain of the number) that shows up in nearly all credible references as a 428, when actually, it was originally cast, intended and used as a replacement block for many/most FE engines, except of course the very large bore 427 and some earlier 352's. The nice thing about the "service block" is that it was a high nickel content, thick cylinder wall casting that could safely be bored to 428 specs and even ".030 over and beyond. These blocks are often regarded as some of the best of the best. I will do my best to search my resources to find this number for you. You may be in luck.
Gene