1967 Axle Code Help -- "0"?!?

1stGenMustang

Sep 20, 2009
I am looking to buy a 1967 289 C4 Convertible but have a question about the Axle code. The picture of the VIN/Warranty plate is very clear. The Axle code is stamped "0". I have a copy of the Mustang Recognition Guide and Mustang Red Book. Neither lists a "0" for an axle code in 1967.
I'm stumped about this one...
Oh, and I did also check out this link:
http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topic...ml#axle_ratios
Which has the same information as my reference books -- no "0" listed.
Any help on what this is or how to check (is this info located somewhere else)?
Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks!!! That is very helpful.
Now for a "stupid" question:
I would want to change this to a locking/limited slip style (like how I had ordered my '89 GT). Is this a major deal (i.e. something that can be done in a garage with standard tools) or should I really have a local garage do it?
See, told ya it was "stupid"...

Not stupid, but requires special tools and very exacting procedures. The best compromise is to get a Traction-lok center, pull your differential, and deliver them to a pro. When he gives it back to you, pop it in. For a little extra, you could switch to a more performance-oriented ratio, 3.55 is an excellent compromise. 2.79 will give pretty good mileage, though, which is why it was so popular then.

Thanks again.
Yeah, the 3:55 gears really woke up the 5.0 ('89 GT Conv w/5-speed).
I'll need to see the shift points/speeds if I buy the "67 to see how "deep" I want to go.
And mileage would be the least of my concerns with this car :)
Solid, reliable performance will be the goal - not a strip car but not a daily driver for sure.