1967 convertible frame replacement

tomustang

Psychotic Member
Founding Member
Jun 8, 2000
McLean Hospital
View attachment 507225

So this is my project car, handed down by my father with rust on the floorboards and frame rails.

I have all the replacement parts but mostly everyone I talk to claims I have to strip everything out and put it on a rotisory (sp?) So I was thinking if it's possible to weld up some steel bars for chassis support and work one side at a time.

BTW - It's been 10 years since it's been started. Took it out, recharged the battery and threw some starting fluid in it and it started right up. Gotta love a Ford

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Since it is a vert I'd be super-d-dooper carefull. You probably need to have a chassis shop get her trued up for you. I did the floors on my vert but was lucky the subs and torque boxes were solid (floors rusted from the inside). I also made sure the doors were straight and remained closed/locked during the entire process.

Damn, that thing is beautiful. I love seeing convertibles before they are restored. I am looking for something just like yours. Let me know if you are ever looking at getting rid of it.

As for the rotissery, I really don't think it is mandatory. Just convenient. Most of the guys here haven't restored their cars with a using one.

doubt i'll get rid of it, been in the family for over 25 years. I just don't wanna screw up on the job if it's not possible but since it could be w/out a rotissery than I got more hope

I also gotta get a carb rebuid kit cause it's leaking :notnice: but they're cheap

no rotisserie

unless you're planning on cookin' chicken while you're working. :D

I just had my floor pan replaced - tranny tunnel was fine, but the inner rocker panels on each side had to be replace, and front and rear floorboards; driver's side was all the way up to the firewall. A little patch at the back seat corner on the driver's side as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/jbauder/PhotoAlbum73.html

I'll have more "after" photos soon, but there you go. I had just a little surface rust on front and rear frame rails. All in all, not a disaster but not a cakewalk either. This is a PA car, by the way - I grew up with it. a '67 was my 2nd choice but I hadda have something different. (and harder to find parts for)

enjoy. Flush out/replace your gas tank ASAP and maybe even fuel lines, who knows what's in there after 10 years.