1967 Coupe Restoration

• Sponsors (?)

How do you tell if your car came with a center console? I have the overhead.

The guy who gave us the car said it came with one, but I'm not so sure because of the gearshift.
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG

If it has an overhead it probably had a floor console .That is not the correct shifter for a console though. If you look from underneith you will see screw holes along the sides of the transmission tunnel . The easiest way to find the screw holes is to poke an ice pick through the holes and through the carpet to put a another console in

The shifter handle is from a deluxe interior, plus you have the upgraded stereo, neither is a guarantee that it had a console but they increase the chances. As mentioned the chrome shifter plate is the standard one. I do not know what it was called but the metal bracket that bolts to the trans-tunnel and actually holds the shifter's pivot in place...for a console car there should be a little "tab" on it. It is likely it was cut off to mount that standard indicator plate.

Reactions: 1 user
Will check whenever I get around to it.

Another question, should the new dash pad be this dark? I have a red deluxe interior.

On the bottom right is the dash pad, and on the left are the sun visors.
image.jpg

I only owned one 1967 with a red interior, it was the deluxe interior and yes the dash pad was noticeably darker than any of the other trim. So I am going to say with a 90% certainty "yes".

My issue is the visors, it could be the picture (do not think so) but those look like the wrong ones for a red interior, deluxe or standard. They actually look black.

So here is what a factory shifter (2v-289 and C4) looked like on a 1967 with deluxe interior. You can clearly see the two "tabs" which held the selector panel inside the console.

IMG_20171028_182434.jpg

Another thing I should have thought of sooner...assuming you have the original doors, do they have holes drilled in them for the grills? All deluxe interior had the ribbed grills like the ones below.

108007d1282277638-1967-68-mustang-deluxe-interior-img_2545.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So here is what a factory shifter (2v-289 and C4) looked like on a 1967 with deluxe interior. You can clearly see the two "tabs" which held the selector panel inside the console.

IMG_20171028_182434.jpg

Another thing I should have thought of sooner...assuming you have the original doors, do they have holes drilled in them for the grills? All deluxe interior had the ribbed grills like the ones below.

108007d1282277638-1967-68-mustang-deluxe-interior-img_2545.jpg
Not sure, but I got brand new doors (old ones were a rat's nest), so they probably came with them. IDK tho...