1967 Ford 8" Axle

Davro1

May 2, 2020
Ireland
Hi,

I was wondering can anybody tell me do the aluminium pinion supports for the ford 8" diff increase the power capacities the axle can handle or are they a waste of time & money? I would like to keep my 8" & possibly get bhp at the crank up to about 350bhp?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=391965727480

I know yukon & currie used to sell these but stopped? Did they stop because they are useless?

Thanks
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Bigger bearing would be the benefit.

Doesn't the 67 use the bump stop style?

001-2.jpg

Hi 2Blue 2,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the picture you posted is the stock pinion support. But I have read the original pinion support was prone to failure?

Those alumiun supports are machined to hold a bigger bearing as you say, but are they any use or a waste of time? Would the bigger bearing mean the axle can take more power through it?

If you want to beef up a ford 8" what is the best way to go about it?

The weak part in the pinion support is the crush sleeve. It crushes more under hard use, ruining the back lash setting
Replace that with the solid metal spacer / shims and its a pretty tough unit.
Should hold 350 hp on street tires fine, but go drag radials or slicks and all bets are off. 28 spline axle is the limiting factor then.

If you want to beef up a ford 8" what is the best way to go about it?

31 spline axles, Solid crush sleeve, and Detroit locker, and you could add the aluminum carrier and pinion support
but at this point you probably should of spent the money to get a nine inch instead.

Post a picture of the car please

Reactions: 1 user