1967 I6 200 Stalling

ValkyriePilot

Jun 26, 2017
Houston
My 67 stalls at speed when warm. If it is a cool day (below 75 degrees), the problem doesn't seem to happen as quickly. The warmer the day the quicker this happens. Idles fine, it's when I am cruising (and mainly as I let off the gas) that the car stalls. If she has been sitting more than a day, she is a very rough start. I've checked my timing and tune on the carburetor (autolite 1100). This problem did not occur the first 3,000 miles I put on her. It was a fresh rebuild, although I am not sure how reliable any of the work was. I constantly find issues that need fixing, it's a project after all.

Any advice on what the problem might be or the next step to take. I am considering rebuilding the carb to make sure there are no issues there. Even considering a different carb, not sure what to make of the autolite. I don't want to pour too much money into the I6. I am saving up for a lot of upgrades that include a motor swap, but plan on running the I6 at least another 6-8 years.

• Sponsors (?)

as i mentioned in the other post, a lot of things could have happened. personally i, since you plan on driving the car as is for several more years, would swap to a two barrel carb like the autolite 2100 or a 38dgas weber. check out vintageinlines.com for conversion parts.

Reactions: 1 user
as i mentioned in the other post, a lot of things could have happened. personally i, since you plan on driving the car as is for several more years, would swap to a two barrel carb like the autolite 2100 or a 38dgas weber. check out vintageinlines.com for conversion parts.
Forgive my ignorance, last time I worked on a carburetor was in the late 80's with my father. As I have been doing my research on rebuilding the autolite 1100 I have found that the autochoke on the back has a hose bracket that is suppose to hold a hose. I found this hose out of it's bracket, could this be part of my problem? I have the car warming up right now, getting it to operating temp so I don't have to drive as far, and will be taking her for a cruise around the area to see if she stalls. Regardless of the outcome I am looking into a carb swap as you suggested.

And the answer is....nope, not the problem.

Last edited:
I have the same problem from time to time, with my 250ci, it usually happens when 1. the car hasn't been tuned-up in a while, 2. when the vacuum advance hasn't been set properly. and 3. When fuel sloshes in the float bowl. Try tuning the idle once at operating temperature and once at cold start to get a better idea of where your settings should be. also check for burns or pitting on your points.