1967 tilt steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP!!! WTB or TRADE?
I have a 1967 tilt steering column that I'm going to install in my car. The problem is that at some time the upper collar was changed to a '68 version. I want to maintain my original wood wheel which causes the problem. The '67 version (which I need) has a rolled over edge at the top and a triangular hole at the turn signal lever. The '68 version (which I have) has a sharp edge at the top and a access door at the turn signal lever. When the steering wheel is installed there is about a 1/4" gap all the way around for all to see the wiring in the column. It would be great as well if it had the emergency flasher bezel on it.

Can you help? Can you advise where I might try if you can't? Many thanx.

Regards,
Andy

• Sponsors (?)

Tilt Wheel

A little off track, but... I have been trying to figure out what is in my '67. I have a very late, June 67, car and the steering column was changed a little in May to meet new federal regulations.

1) To my uderstanding there was no "tilt steering" offered in '67, only "tilt away" which I think is different and had a vacuum canister and some additional wiring, etc. to hook up

2) I have not been able to determine if the collapsible column was part of the modification done in late May for the remainder of the '67 production run. Also for all I know, they just started using '68 parts and the 1/4 inch gap you see at the steering wheel collar was stock for late model year '67 cars.

Sorry to go off-track, but any clarification you can offer on this would be great.

To help with your questions;
1) All '67 thru '69 had a tilt/tilt away combination. There was a nine position tilt up and down and there was a tilt away feature that was electric over vacuum. That's why there was an additional door jamb switch on the left side simular to the one for courtesy lights. It's function was to tilt the wheel up and to the right on a 45 by using vacuum when the door was opened. The extra wiring was for safety so the car couldn't be started again until the door was closed and the wheel was pulled back to the driving position.
2) As far as I know there was no mid year updates and I don't believe there were any collapsable columns installed until the '68 model year which normally showed up in showrooms in early September. Most production for each model year was completed by late May or early June as they retool for the next year. With that being said anything is possible as back in the day they were just trying to keep up with orders.
Hope my rambling helps.

Yes the collar for a '67 tilt w/ deluxe wheel is a unique piece w/ the radiused upper edge to allow for the tilt action (the non-tilt deluxe collar is reproduced). I have two factory tilt 67s and have accumulated a lot of tilt parts. I have at least two extra tilt/deluxe wheel collars if you are interested. The flasher bezels are also unique to '67 tilt columns and are extremely hard to find. I once bought an entire tilt column to get the flasher bezel. I don't have any extras. The only one I have is on a complete column assembly which is spoken for.

Status
Not open for further replies.