1968 3 speed Manual

cherrypony93

Sep 18, 2004
I just purchased a complete 1968 Ford 289. The Transmission is a 3 Speed Manual. Is this a similar trans to the 4 speed Top Loader? Is it able to handle upto 450 Horsepower? Any info on this trans would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cherrypony93

• Sponsors (?)

cherrypony93 said:
I only paid $140.00 for both.
And there's a reason for that. :p

I honestly don't know beacuse I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I don't see Ford making a bulletproof 3-speed that could handle that kind of HP. I bet someone here knows though.

How do you plan on making that kind of horsepower?

High compression and a wicked cam. I have alot of the goodies I believe I can make this amount of hp. I just don' know much about the 3 speed. Maybe I will dump it unless someone has a solution for me.

cherrypony93 said:
High compression and a wicked cam. I have alot of the goodies I believe I can make this amount of hp. I just don' know much about the 3 speed. Maybe I will dump it unless someone has a solution for me.

if you are making 450hp n/a, then i give that poor 289 8000 miles before it is gone.

The A303 trans (which is the 3 spd Ford used on V-8 cars) IS the tranny the the Toploader 4 spd is derived from! As far as I know it is the ONLY Ford transmission to be used stock in some GM cars as well as Fords. (Yes this tranny was even used behind big blocks - so I think it can handle a 289) The main reason for swapping a 3 spd for a 4 spd is more favorable gear ratios - instead of that LOOONG drop from second to the 1:1 3rd gear.

if your going to make 450hp NA then your going to be revvin the crap outta it to get it. So doubtful you would have the TQ to break the tranny anyways.

BTW, my Uncles Pantera makes near 650 (dyno'd) but also turns 8900 rpm. LOL and has crap tq. Idles about 2000 rpm. heh