1968 Mustang Coupe Instrument Panel

When removing the instrument panel is it necessary to first disconnect the speedometer cable at the transmission before pulling the panel away from the dash. All the screws have been removed but I feel a great deal of resistance when I try to remove the panel. Don"t want to damage the speedo cable or its connection to the speedometer.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome aboard,
Unhook speedo behind gauges. reach up from behind and pull clip from behind, its hard to do. might be stubborn after so many years.
Pull electrical connection by squeezing tabs and then find a couple of hidden screws up top I think
but first go u tube and do some research and see what your up against.
this will improve your luck considerably.

And post a picture of the car. We all want to see pics of our beloved stangs no matter what the shape.
Good Luck

Welcome aboard,
Unhook speedo behind gauges. reach up from behind and pull clip from behind, its hard to do. might be stubborn after so many years.
Pull electrical connection by squeezing tabs and then find a couple of hidden screws up top I think
but first go u tube and do some research and see what your up against.
this will improve your luck considerably.

And post a picture of the car. We all want to see pics of our beloved stangs no matter what the shape.
Good Luck
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have visited you-tube and found many videos that cover replacing and upgrading instrument panels but none of them answered the question posed in my query. Several of the videos showed the tech disconnecting the speedometer cable once the panel was clear of the dash. The problem is I can dislodge the panel but it doesn't want to come out far enough for me to disconnect the speedo cable. I thought perhaps there may be a way to provide some slack in the cable that would allow the panel to move a few inches so that I would not have to disconnect the cable from behind. Actually, I am unaware of any problems with the panel. I am trying to resolve an electrical issue and I need access to the area behind the instrument panel. By the way, I'm a big Mustang fan but sometimes find myself mechanically and electrically challenged when it comes to working on rusty, old Mustangs. Big fan of You-tube too. Thanks again for listening to my problems.

I have encountered this before when a speedometer cable has been replaced in the past and it is a little shorter than original. Slide up under the bottom of your Mustang, under the transmission and use a 7/16" wrench to undo the cable from the trans. then slip the cable forward in the little bracket attached to the frame rail. It may slide easily. If it doesn't, there may be a 1/2" bolt that will need to be loosened. This should give you enough slack to pull the instruments out further to get behind them to disconnect the cable from the speedometer head. I hope this helps.
WAR EAGLE!

Thanks for the response. However, I found out when trying to solve a repair problem it helps to first read the directions. I found an old Mustang shop manual for a '68 Mustang that described in perfect detail how to remove the panel. Once all panel attaching screws have been removed, remove the access cover to the heater controls located immediately to the left of the panel. Then reach through the opening with your left hand and unscrew the speedometer cable from the panel. The panel can then be removed so that the three electrical cables may be disconnected from the panel. I still a little foolish about making such a fuss about a problem that really wasn't a problem. However, I've learned after destroying many parts on my Mustang projects when I wasn't sure of what I was doing that it's always better to reach out to my Mustang friends for advice.
Looks like you have the same Mustang addiction that I have. 2018 GT convertible with performance package, 2008 GT California Special convertible, '92 GT convertible, '72 Convertible (presently under restoration), '70 Mach 1 fast back, restored, 351 C engine., 2 '68 coupes (projects not started, and a '67 coupe waiting to be restored.
Always good to hear a WAR EAGLE, particularly from an unexpected source.

Reactions: 1 users