1968 Pre-mach I Conversion, 351w

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Very strange outcome. Anyhow, I converted the car to EFI using Ford Motorsports parts intended to do just that. Ford used the same injectors, Mass Air Sensor, and computer (PCM) that was used in the 1993 Cobra 5.0HO, 24lb. injectors, and supplied the GT-40 Lower & Upper Intake Manifolds. Finished job looked like this:

car_pr10.jpg

Got her running, seemed very strong and smooth. But, I wasn't happy with the starting: engine cranked way too long before firing, cold or hot. Unsure of how to proceed, but knowing that after having brought the guy's car to my shop in Phoenix all the way from Albuquerque, I had to give him more acceptable results. By chance, I had at the time a great-running '93 Cobra which I had repaired front end damage on, with express agreement with my wife that if we bought the Cobra, it would become HER car! So, it was.

On a hunch, I yanked the PCM out of the Cobra, installed it in the Mach-I, and, sure enough, it started instantly, just as the Cobra had. Even bigger hunch, I put the bum-starting PCM in the Cobra, turned it over, and it fired up immediately! And so they remained in place, the Mustang owner flew in from Albuq., paid the rest of the dough, and drove it home with his son. I had asked him to call me, let me know how it ran. He did, they were pleased as could be!

The Cobra still has that same PCM, and resides in Topeka, KS, owned by my Nephew! I have no idea what transpired with those computers! imp

• Sponsors (?)