1969 mach I (351W) cyl. head recommendations please

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
I am hoping to hear from those more knowledgable than I (like Socrates, all I know is that I know nothing). How many hours would an installation require for an experience shop including new roller rocker arms (might as well, while they are in there) ? I imagine I need a complete heads assembly to include hardened valves. Victor Jr. Performer, GT40? Something else?

• Sponsors (?)

jerry S said:
I am hoping to hear from those more knowledgable than I (like Socrates, all I know is that I know nothing). How many hours would an installation require for an experience shop including new roller rocker arms (might as well, while they are in there) ? I imagine I need a complete heads assembly to include hardened valves. Victor Jr. Performer, GT40? Something else?

Good heads are everywhere. You can find lots of great used ones on ebay. I'd recommend ther Performer RPM, AFR 165 or 185, or TFS Twisted Wedge heads. The Performers and Twisted Wedge are always on ebay selling for 25% off at least, and sometimes they come ported. Usually they are complete. As for the shop question... I couldn't say how much time a shop would take, but I could imagine it would vary.

if you dont care about a stock look, use the afr 185's or the twisted wedge heads. if you want a stealthier look, the world products windsor sr heads look close to stock, and work nearly as well as the afr's.

To do a head swap, for me it would take a good days work ( 8 hours) to do it right. A shop that does that kind of thing ( hard to find in most cases) might take less. You really would also need to swap the cam too ( unless your motor already has a high performance cam now) to take advantage of the extra flow. What intake does your motor have now? How about the carb? You'll need a better exhaust ( headers,etc) too.

The car already has an SVO cam on it, an edelbrock Torker II intake, Holly 600 carb, and a dual exhaust with Hedman long tube headers. It is in the shop in Penn right now and before it comes across the ocean, I was thinking about having new cyl. heads put on it. I know how much a set of complete heads costs and was wondering what kind of shop time I am looking at.