1969 mustang tail light help

HElllPPP MEEEE

Jun 29, 2004
Hey i have been restoring my 1969 mustang for some time now and i've got to where i'm ready to put the tail lights on but one simple problem(i hope) everything i have looked at shows the tailights as being the three vertical bars but it also show something in between the lights that is the same color as the paint. What is this peice ??? I don't seem to have it and it doesn't look like their is and broken peices around the tail light entry points i could use some help thanks alot if u don't care email me at [email protected] because i will rarely check this site thanks agian

• Sponsors (?)

It does sound like some butchery took place on your '69. The 69's tail light panel has 3 'holes per taillight stamped out in the panel. The lamp assembly installs from the trunk. I have seen '70 tail light panels used in place of the '69 panel. (they are flat and have large rectangular openings for the lamps.) Check out a mustang vendor's catalog and look up the tail lamp panels... there will more than likely be pictures.

Yeah that was my thought too, switching noses is easier than switching tail panels, that's for sure and you woukd thing that if the 3 holes were cut into one large one that there would be some visable sign. Does you car have side scoops? That is another way to figure out what year you might actually have. Also the ignition, is it on the column or the dash? In either case sounds like you will need to change your lights or panel regardless of which year it is. I would personally take avantage of this as an excuse to cut out even more and put the Shelby/T-bird assembly in there instead.

anytime i need a pic of a part to figure out how its supposed to look, i go to e-bay. you could always try that too.

anyway here is a pic of how its supposed to look.if it doesnt look like this, its been modified.

ps, if you have vin probs, where is the location of your ignition, where the key goes? 69 was in the dash, 70 in the colum
View attachment 524395