1971 Ford 302 Distributor replacement

• Sponsors (?)

Hello Thank You Well basically on the replacement in whole. Ive looked at a lot of videos etc but this would be a first for me. Just concerned in getting the TDC correct. Ive seen if you mark how the old came out that works with making sure number 1 on the orientation on the distributor. I don't have any of the tools Ive seen for finding TDC. Thanks

Tools? We don’t need no stinking tools! Here’s a quick method I use: pull the number 1 spark plug out. On any V8, it’s always the farthest one forward. Block the hole with your finger or thumb and have a friend “bump” the key, just a little tap at a time. When your finger is forced from the hole, you are very close. Look at the balancer and you should see the timing mark at or near TDC. Use a socket and breaker bar to bring the mark right inline with the TDC pointer. At this time the engine is at TDC. Now just remove the old distributer. To reinstall, put the rotor a little before the number one plug wire on the cap as you drop it in. It won’t go all the way in in all likelihood, so once it’s close, have that same friend tap the key and it’ll drop right in. At this time make sure the timing mark is still at TDC and the rotor is aligned with the number 1 wire on the cap. Snug the distributer down and it’s close enough to fire up. Set the timing with it running and it’s all good. If you run into problems, post them up and I’ll be glad to help. It’s easy!