1971 ford mustang base 302

folson

Jun 6, 2018
IL
This has been a great forum have another issue. Ran car at idle for about 30-40 minutes and when I looked under the car Anti freeze had leaked about half out? Could not find a leak when I checked except for some seepage from the Therm housing out of the hex screw on top? Anyway car would not start also. The coil was hot and hoses etc. Waited about an hour car started and I ran for 20 minutes nothing??? Could or would the car overheat idling that long? Maybe from the overflow? And not starting Vapor lock or because the coil was so hot? Any ideas???? Thanks

Update: I flushed the system . Restarted the car after changing fluid and at first it took the car about 20 minutes before the top hose started to get hot (indicating the thermostat opened ? ) then about 5 minutes later the cap popped and fluid came out the overflow and cap. Lost about 1/2 the fluid. The radiator, water pump,thermostat, hoses are all new. I checked for the tabs to see if head gasket was installed correct. From what I understand if the tabs are visible between the block and heads the gasket is correct? Really at a lost?????

Update#2: Hey team Well guess what... The thermostat was in backwards!! Duh! Appears that when I replaced everything the previous owner had installed the thermostat backwards and not paying attention I did the same putting it all back together. Lucky it appears no damage... Cool

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)