1972 351 W - rebuild - New route / new way

chgovfk

15 Year Member
Apr 17, 2007
AZ
Hi All -

I was here before and you guys really helped me greatly with a motor that I pulled out of a 1972 LTD - to go into a 90/93 5.0 coupe - I pulled off of that project and worked on my 07 Gt - put cams / exhaust / tune etc......so now I'm back to the 351w - the original plan was (b/c of $$) to do a simple re-build - using the same dished pistons but 30. over and a new - a High energy 268 comp cam - rebuilt stock heads...

......but now that the funds are a little better - I'm thinking new aluminum heads / roller rockers and a beefer cam - and the flat top pistons (that I had wanted before) but with the stock heads - everyone said it was a 'big' no-no.....so is it possible to do this - the flat tops w/valve reliefs - a beefer cam w/some lump and aluminum heads/RR's....any suggestions?...

I have about a $1K for the heads - I'm thinking edelbrock/trick flow....or there is a guy who gets procomp heads bare and rebuilds them w/manley valves and springs for a savy price.....any suggestions or help would be great before I head off to the machine shop - also do I leave the pistons/crank in it when it goes to the machine shop or strip it bare??....re-using the same crank....sorry this is 'long winded' - 1st real tear down and build up on a classic motor......

• Sponsors (?)

See if you can find a used B303 cam from a late model 5.0. They usually go for cheap. Then you'll need some drop in link bar hyd roller lifters (a bit pricey around $450) and push rods from a 94 up 5.8 liter with a roller cam. The hyd roller cams are awesome. It'll give you a good lope at idle and lots of mid range power.

Thanks - I'll have to look into that 303 cam - those trick flow heads are way expensive ola....but after thinking about it I think I should invest the time and build this correctly - I'm planning on buying some flat tops - 30 over w/the 4 valve reliefs and get to the machine shop.