1973 Mustang help, no start

dsmGST91

Jun 13, 2005
Latham NY
Hey guys, I'm new to Mustangs. I recently purchased a 1973 convertible from a guy who had it sitting on his lawn for a couple years. Every day I drove by his house, and one day I decided to ring his doorbell and ask if he wanted to sell it. I got it for 3 grand. Basically, it needs a restoration. Anyways, it originally started life with a 351, as the sticker tells me, but somewhere along the line a 302 was dropped in. I've been running it almost every day since I got it, and so far it started right up every single time. Today however, when I went in the garage to start it, it would not start. It's also blowing a ton of blue smoke, even though its not running. I'm guessing its flooded? I dont see how it could get flooded by just sitting for a few days. Also, this weekend before I went away I completely gutted the interior, dash and all. Maybe something is shorted out that is necessary for the engine to run? One last thing, its about 95 degrees out now, and it has sat in the garage all day long, so its pretty hot in there. If you've read this far, I really appreciate it and any answers would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I havnt actully checked because It is catching for a second, then it just dies. Yes, it did smoke when I bought it, but only a tiny bit, and went away after a few seconds. I'm actully pretty sure its flooded, because I pulled a plug and it was black, wet, and reeked of gas. These plugs are about a week old. So now my question is this, how do I start a flooded engine? Sorry for the newb type questions, I'm not too familiar with older cars at all.

all you can do with a flooded motor is let it sit for a while until the gas evaporates. usually if you are blowing blue smoke that is oil. gas is usually white smoke. if it seems to catch and then not check your points and plug connections. older engines are just like newer engines, except easier. not as much stuff to go wrong.

how old is the gas in the tank.
When gas sits for a long time it aint good.
Sounds like some rust got caught in the needle and seat and its flooding the engine. stuck open.
Look into the carb. while it's being turned over (without burning all your hair or face off) look if you see gas flooding while turning it over.
BE CAREFUL

I think that grego37 is right about your problem. Just be sure and disconnect your coil when you do the looking down into the carb while the engine is being turned over. Beter safe than sorry.

Ok thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I kinda gave up for tonight, I pulled the plugs and I'm going to let the clyinders dry out. Im gonna check the carb tommrrow. So basically, when its turning over, see if its flooding? I dont understand how that would be specific to turning over, because the car sat for like 2-3 days without being started, and thats how it flooded I think. Also, would the dash being ripped apart cause it to not start? (I.E. a shorting connection or something?). :shrug:

dsmGST91 said:
So basically, when its turning over, see if its flooding? I dont understand how that would be specific to turning over, because the car sat for like 2-3 days without being started, and thats how it flooded I think.

Well as the engine cranks a dealy on the cam (sorry I don't know the proper name) works the fuel pump and pumps fuel into the carb until the float in carb pushes the needle into its seat and closes off the fuel supply. Pressure builds behind the needle and sits there until the fuel level in the bowl drops. You probable know all this already. To make a long story short what we think might be happening is that fuel is passing the needle even though the fuel bowl is full and the float is trying to close off the supply. That fuel in the carb's bowl is then draining into your engine even after it is turned off.

I would think that at most you might have half a gallon of fuel leaking into the engine after it is turned off. I'm not sure how long it would take that much fuel to evaporate or how much would pass the rings and find its way into the oil pan. Anyone else have any ideas on this?

dsmGST91 said:
Also, would the dash being ripped apart cause it to not start? (I.E. a shorting connection or something?). :shrug:

If the starter turns but the engine is not getting spark then you may have disconnected the ignition coil wire, the wire that goes from the key to the ignition coil. With that unplugged or disconnected the coil wouldn't provide spark to the engine.

Anyway can anyone else clarify this for him and share their wisdom, expertise on how to approach this problem?