1973 wheel selection

73hellstang

Feb 24, 2019
Moore, SC
I have a 73 convertible, trying to select the perfect wheel tire combo. I'm looking at an 8" x 17" zero offset with 245 45 17's around. I'm being told the front will scrub with 8" up front.
I can stagger 7's in front and 8" in the rear but like the idea of rotating them for longevity and wear.
Will 8" wheels in front (zero offset) clear the fenders?
All input is welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 73 convertible, trying to select the perfect wheel tire combo. I'm looking at an 8" x 17" zero offset with 245 45 17's around. I'm being told the front will scrub with 8" up front.
I can stagger 7's in front and 8" in the rear but like the idea of rotating them for longevity and wear.
Will 8" wheels in front (zero offset) clear the fenders?
All input is welcome.
I had 245s for a brief time on my '73; the fender lips needed to be rolled back and even then, going lock-to-lock was a not a good idea. These were 245/60/R15, but the width should be more or less the same. 235s are the max I would use (but not that many options available).

I would also give extra thought to running tires with that low an aspect ratio. The cars actually handle better with 60 or 70 series. And having the same size rubber all around is good for longevity and wear--in fact, with the weight distribution as it is on Mustangs, for better handling, bigger tires should go on the front (except it looks really stupid to have big tires in front). Bigger tires in back are best for off-the-line performance, not handling.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 245s for a brief time on my '73; the fender lips needed to be rolled back and even then, going lock-to-lock was a not a good idea. These were 245/60/R15, but the width should be more or less the same. 235s are the max I would use (but not that many options available).

I would also give extra thought to running tires with that low an aspect ratio. The cars actually handle better with 60 or 70 series. And having the same size rubber all around is good for longevity and wear--in fact, with the weight distribution as it is on Mustangs, for better handling, bigger tires should go on the front (except it looks really stupid to have big tires in front). Bigger tires in back are best for off-the-line performance, not handling.

Thanks for the info. May stagger for the race look. I'll eat the tires.
Potential wheels
Image.png